four

The walk home wasn't as horrible as it should have been, alone with my thoughts, it usually puts me in a depressive slump for days. I got home around Midnight, Quinn's car wasn't in the driveway, meaning she was still out somewhere getting smashed. When I opened the front door, killjoy was there to greet me with little licks on my hands. I flopped on the couch, beckoning Killjoy to join me.

"How long has it been since you saw your uncle?"

"I haven't seen him since the day he dropped me off at basic."

"........ You're shitting me, right?"

He sat on my stomach, occasionally licking my face. I scratched behind his ears, letting the blessed silence act as a buffer between myself and the rest of the world. This wasn't the best way in the world to live, and if you asked a few people, it was the worst. A lot of people I had encounter in the VA looked hollow, unseeing as if the trauma they had gone through was enough to make the rest of their lives unworthy of living. I had yet to get so low, but Quinn warned that it wasn't far off from what would happen.

The front door opened, banging against the opposite wall. I stood as still as possible, trying not to move. Quinn didn't bring home one-night stands often, but when she did, I usually tried my best not to meet the poor sod before the morning after, helping him find his bearings and getting him out before he could experience the raphe of Quinn, woman of god who had sinned.

A giggling Quinn walked to her room, mostly being supported by a shortish man with dark black hair. As soon as the door shut, I picked up killjoy and made a mad dash for my room. Listening to Quinn and her partner get it on wasn't something I wanted to hear, but then again the highlight of my night would be binge watching Netflix with Killjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up around five, and rolled off of my bed, slouching my way to the bathroom. Quinn's door was still closed, meaning her and her buddie were still sound asleep in bed. Killjoy followed, deciding to sleep in front of the tub while I showered.

Have you ever taken a shower, so bone shatteringly cold, it took your breath away? Not that it hurt or anything, but it made you feel good, strong, maybe even a little bit better? I love to do this, stand right in front of the water, letting it rush down my hair and back. I tried to explain this to Quinn once, but she just looked at me like I'd lost my mind. Quinn doesn't like the cold.

I stood under the icy water, letting my breath be stolen, when Killjoy began to growl. My eyes snapped open and I stepped out of the stream of water, quickly turning it off. Killjoy glared at the bathroom door, looking more than ready to break it down when I opened it for him. He shot out like a bullet, and I shut the door, going to resume my shower, when I heard a scream from the main room.

"Damn it Killjoy!" I muttered, grabbing my towel and wrapping it around my body before I left the bathroom. Killjoy had someone cornered on the opposite side of the room, someone who obviously though that killjoy as going to maul them. One hand holding my towel, the other grabbed ahold of Killjoy's collar and yanked him back. I dragged him to my bed room and shut the door, he whined softly, pawing at the door, but I ignored him.

I slammed the bathroom door shut so I could finish my shower. I finished quickly, not taking any time to soak in the icy water. I yanked my clothing over my head, and grabbed my hair brush yanking it through as quickly as possible. I took a quick glance at the clock, and after realizing it was only six, I relaxed a little.

I opened the door, and smacked into the man who came home with Quinn, he looked embarrassed, and after a moment I realized why.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to-"