Five

"Mama, please, just listen to me-"

Quinn was having a screaming contest with her mother over the phone, I'd missed the first part of the conversation, but I figured Quinn was asking for money again.

"Mama It's not that big of a deal-"she paused, and Grandma winters yelled on the other end. "Yes, I understand that, but given the circumstances-" she paused again, more yelling.

Frank emerged from the bathroom, a sleepy look on his face. "What goes on?" He asked, as he pulled up a chair beside me.

"Quinn's asking Grams for money again, and Grams ain't having it." I took a deep sip of my coffee, made for me by Quinn, and grinned.

"You sure that's what they're talking about?" Frank asked, I handed him my coffee and he took a sip, grimaced and handed it back.

"Pretty sure," I said, pausing to take a drink, " she was like this last time too."

"Dammit mama! I'm trying!" Quinn yelled, "you have no idea how difficult this is-"

Quinn sighed and put her hand on her head, closing her eyes like she did when I was being stupid. "Yes mama, I know, If any one understands, I do."

"Alright, let's leave her alone." I said, I took my coffee and migrated to the front door. I opened it, and then immediately  closed it, killjoy came sprinting out of my room.

"You wanna go for a walk killjoy? Huh? You wanna go for a walk?" I cooed, he jumped in circles, barking.

I took the leash from a hook on the wall and hooked it to his collar. Frank yawned and tossed a pair of flip flops in my general direction.

Frank waved good bye to Quinn and opened the door to the hallway. We took killjoy about half a block down, before I took off his leash and let him run around the park. I sat on a park bench and cradled my cup in my hands.

"How is it that you always forget a jacket?" Mike teased, I shrugged. Mike pulled off his jacket and slipped it over my shoulders, "there, now I'll just freeze my ass off." He pecked me on the head, and took my hand in his.

"Thank you." I whispered, I kissed him full on the lips, and his face turned a little cherry red.

"So..... Good date?" He asked

"Good date." I replied.

I shivered, mentally scolding myself for not remembering to grab a jacket. Frank slipped his off and placed it in my shoulders. Just like Mike.

"You shoulda brought a jacket." He teased. I touched the wet ground with my feet and looked past him.

"Probably." Frank leaned back and sighed, he looked like he wanted to say something, but couldn't put it to words. "So, what's up?" I asked, taking a long drink from my cup. It was almost empty.

"Uh," he said, scratching the back of his head, "I don't want to upset you, but I'm guessing that you lost something? Or someone?" Frank looked genuinely interested, not someone just asking to pass the time.

"Yeah, I uh, I was with a guy, and uh," I swallowed the lump forming in my throat. "We were in the military together, we were going to, well, we were going to spend our lives together." I brushed Frank's sleeve over my face, willing my emotions to not spill. Frank didn't ask me what happened to him, he put his arm around me and pulled me into his chest.