Chapter 1

A high noonday sun was beating down on the port city of Hook in the Cluster Isles in Lyssia, but just enough of a breeze was blowing to make the day bearable. It was, all in all, a normal day for the inhabitants of the city. Trade was flowing again, now that the Wars had ended, and there were more than a few ships tethered on the port's many docks. The cobblestone streets, like the docks, were bustling with people and therians alike as they went about their typical day. While therians, or people with the ability to transform into an animal form at will, still out numbered humans throughout most of Lyssia, Hook was a very diverse city, welcoming anyone at its docks, from pirates to soldiers, mercenaries to royalty, therian or human.

Among the ships looking to tie up at one of the docks was a ship unlike any in Lyssia. In fact, it was not from Lyssia at all. An average-sized ship, coal black, and sporting black sails docked across from one of the Royal Navy's warships. The gangplank clattered down onto the wooden docks. A man began to make his way down the wobbly plank.

"Sure you'll be safe, Cap'n?" a man on the deck called down to the other.

"Of course. When am I not, Mr. Gibbs?" the captain called back. The captain started to walk--actually, no--swagger down the dock towards the town, weaving through the crowds of people like they weren't even there. Underneath his worn, three-pointed hat, the captain's hair hung long in braids and ropes, studded with beads and trinkets from his countless travels. A weather-beaten, brown coat protected his body from wind or sun. The coat ended just above a pair of folded-over, leather boots. The captain was stopped by a man with a book and quill just as he had stepped off the wood of the docks onto a stone street.

"Excuse me, sir! There's a price to tie up your ship here," the man said. "Three coins, and I'll need your name, if you'll be so kind."

The captain dug in his pocket and produced five silver coins, handing them to the man. "Let's say five coins and not worry about the name, eh?" he said, quirking a half smile onto his face. "Two for the family, or whatnot."

The man with the book paused, but nodded after a while, and deposited the coins in a pouch on his belt.

"I'm here to visit an old friend, see." the captain stated. "Do you know where one might find a Count Vega? Captain of the Maelstrom?"

"I'm afraid Vega's been dead for months." the man replied in a dismissive voice. Then he walked off without another word.

The captain blinked. That was a setback, to be sure, but not one with which he was entirely unfamiliar. He turned to walk off of the docks and into the bustling street.

"Vega? Count Vega?" a small voice caught the captain's attention.

The captain turned, and saw a young boy, no more than thirteen or fourteen, with dark curly hair and carrying a leather sack, looking back through sharp grey eyes. "Aye, Vega." he nodded slowly. "You know--er, knew him?"

The boy nodded. "He was my father. And my captain."

The captain observed the boy closely. "Father, eh?"

"Aye."

"What do they call you, then, lad?" the captain asked.

"My name's Casper. Who're you?"

"Captain Jack Sparrow. I was a . . . friend of your father's, you might say.  Nice to meet you, Casper." Jack replied. "What are you doing in a place like Hook? You got family that work here?"

Casper shook his dark head. "Nah. My mum apprenticed me to some lousy shopkeeper here. Always making me run all over town for him and he just sits in the shop and does nothing all day." The boy scowled.  Then he looked back a Jack.  "My father never spoke of you, Captain Sparrow."