C3 • N

NADINE

• • •

NINE MONTHS AGO

James and I are sitting in a love seat, answering questions from the media for we are in a press-con for our first movie.

James holds my hand, which makes my stomach flutter with butterflies.

This is all an act, Nadine. Get your feelings straight!

"Okay," the host says. "We're ready for your questions. Are you ready, JaDine?"

James holds my hand tighter. "Yes, we are." He says.

"Yeah," I said, timidly.

"Okay," the host said. "Let's start, shall we? Anyone want to ask the first question?"

And then it started.

People were asking us questions about what we thought about the movie, if we expected great reviews, if we had learned something from it, or if we had a great time.

Then it got to the more personal questions.

"James, what is the one thing you like about Nadine?"

James smiled. It was as if he really loved the question. It was as if he really did like something about me.

"Um," he starts. "I really love how maalaga she is. I like her smile."

"Wow," the person said. "How about you Nadine?"

"Uhh," I stammered. "I really like his eyes. I like how they glimmer under the sun or just by him staring at things he like." I said.

"Just like you." James said, using his microphone.

Everyone inside the room burst in 'aww' and James smiled at me.

I smiled back, but deep inside I didn't.

Then the question, that will set us to the start of our act, was asked.

And I had to hold on to my seat.

"James, do you like Nadine?"

Silence filled the room, everyone waiting for his answer, even me. I stared at him, waiting for the answer he was supposed to say.

James looked at everyone, a smile still on his face.

It felt like hours have passed, but really, it was only a few seconds. My heart was beating so loud, I swore everyone could hear it.

"Yes." He ended the silence. "I do like Nadine. More than a friend."

Gasps filled the room, and people began talking loudly. Phones were clicking from people texting, more cameras were angled at our faces, hoping to get the perfect snap.

Everyone was buzzing from the newly-released truth. Funny how it actually isn't.

"Do you feel the same, Nadine?" A guy asked, using the microphone.

It echoes.

Then, silence.

I clear my throat.

James squeezes my arm, tighter than I would've thought, still smiling towards the media.

My heart beats loudly.

I suck in a breath.

This is it. It's now or never.

Before I knew it, the lie left my lips. "Yes."

Months after, it wasn't a lie anymore.

And how stupid of me to think that it'll be alright.

• • •

PRESENT

"Okay, James, Nadine," Ms. Lani says. "Are you ready for the show?"

"Yeah, sure." James says, not taking his eyes away from his phone.

"Nadine?"

"Um," I start.

James looks at me, a questioning look on his face.

"Yeah, of course." I ended, smiling at James.

James rolled his eyes at me, his nose flaring.

I laugh a little, though it hurt that I knew exactly how to make his mood gloomy just with a single smile from me.

"It's show time!" Ms. Lani says.

James stands up, and so do I.

We exit the dressing room and approach the stage, our hands now locked.

Ms. Poppy, my road manager, is already taking snaps of our hands. I know she'll be posting it on Instagram soon, it's all the fans need to still believe that we actually like each other.

"It's show time!" I say to him, quite giddily than necessary.

James scoffs. "Whatever," he says. "Let's just get this over with."