Whispers in the Wind - Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

Cal:

“Go pass the salt, Zane,” Radleigh said, reaching across the table. Zane slid the salt off of the table, grinning cheekily.

“That salt?” he asked, his eyebrow quirking upwards. Radleigh growled, reaching across the table to hit him over the head. Ade caught his wrist and easily pushed him back down onto his seat. The noise of several wolves eating at the same time rang around the room, along with the crying of two kids and the noisy conversation of two women.

Like everything was normal.

“Shut up,” I snarled, glowering at everyone at the table. Rosie looked up at me, her eyes wide and innocent. Her lip trembled, and tears started to run down her cheeks. That was the thing that freaked me out about her; she never made a noise when she cried. She was a silent bawler.

Instead of hugging her, and telling her it was going to be alright, I shoved her into Radleigh’s arms and got to my feet, walking out of the kitchen and leaving my dinner untouched.

Real mature, Caleb, Radleigh snapped. I was just about to go back in and deck him one, when I walked straight into Gordon. I stared at him, a nerve in my jaw jumping about. Gordon Knight looked tired and old; nights of not sleeping had caught up on him.

“Talk to your pack,” I growled angrily, “and get them out lookin’ for Annie.” Moments later, I was slammed up against the wall by an extremely angry Alpha, his eyes flashing menacingly.

“Don’t tell me what t’do, Cal,” he hissed. “I’m still your Alpha; a lot of you seem to forget that.” I tried to push him away from me, but his grip remained strong. For a guy this near to retirement age, he sure didn’t seem to be giving up any time soon.

Stow it, Cal, Radleigh growled, coming out of the kitchen. Rosie was in his arms, her crying session clearly forgotten as she tugged his hair experimentally. I felt my face soften slightly as I watched her touch Radleigh’s face, spreading her tiny hands wide like starfish. What the hell was I playing at? Radleigh seemed to be taking on every responsibly I had as a parent, purely because I wasn’t doing it at all.

But my wolf wanted a fight, and it was becoming increasingly difficult to ignore him these days. So, I brought my fist up to meet Gordon’s jaw. It caught him sharply, but he hardly moved, staring at me with piercing, flashing eyes.

This was only going to end in tears.

Rollo:

People take sunlight for granted.

Maybe every person on this planet could live in a house with boarded up windows for a few years, and then make their minds up. Maybe they would be more appreciative about what they have.

He made us out to be the underbelly dwellers, as if we weren’t good enough for the light of day. It was like were some dirty secret, people of the dead that were not allowed to be seen. Some days it didn’t bother me; what was on the other side of the boards were humans and ignorance.

But at other times, like now, it got under my skin. I wanted to live in a place where I could look out the window, and smile because I could actually see. I wanted to be able to open one, and feel the cool breeze on my face as I lay in my bed watching the sun go down.

I wanted to live in a place where the house was bright and happy, where the wallpaper wasn’t peeling, and the furniture wasn’t constantly broken. I wanted to stay in this happy place where I wasn’t in constant fear for my wellbeing, or anyone else’s.