Whispers in the Wind - Chapter 9

Chapter 9:

Dante:

I hated waiting. I hated waiting for something that was so uncertain. Though, undeniably, the Knights’ future was set in stone. All of them, even that screaming little brat, were going to die. And if it meant waiting in the bushes for an insignificant amount of time, I was completely game. Gordon Knight had had this coming since the day I’d seen him in that alley way with Selene. Just because he could fool himself into believing that he was the good guy in this, didn’t mean he was.

Victim, my arse. The only victim in this was me. The long suffering boyfriend of a whore who’d dropped him when something better came along. I refused to believe that Knight was better than me in any way.

To some, it may have seemed as though this was just some bitter spat over a girl. No. It was much more than that. Knight had taken away more than Selene from me. And it was time for revenge. Pure, cold revenge. We’d broken his only daughter; the ginger boy was next. After that, who knew? It wasn’t like there were rules to this. We just wanted Annie to conceive the child that was promised to be the greatest Alpha to ever walk the land. I wanted the child. Once it was born, Annie could as well die. No, wait. Would it cause greater pain for Knight to watch her die? Or more to see her back with me?

I shook my head.

This wasn’t about him. He might have liked to think he was the most important thing going, but I knew better.

Once the child was mine…I hadn’t decided that either. A part of me wanted to kill it, and get it over and done with. The other, more inhuman side, had grown curious at the thought of this new and strange Alpha. How powerful would he be? Surely no more than me? And how could I use him to my benefit? If I was completely honest, the idea of keeping him was becoming more and more attractive. Keeping it…as my own? That would be interesting…

I’m bored, Flint huffed, flopping down by my feet. I rolled my eyes; even as a wolf, Flint was a moaning bastard. I kicked him hard in the ribs, causing him to yelp and make himself upright.

“Well, do something productive,” I growled. How had I got saddled with such a useless bunch of wolves? As much as it pained me to admit it, Rollo had been the only one who did anything. It was just unfortunate that he had had a conscious. But it was fine; the backstabbing traitor would get exactly what was coming to him, he could count on it.

“Like what?” Flint snapped, shifting back. He looked completely bedraggled; splinters of twigs running through his overgrown hair, and dirt covering his face. No-one had been allowed back to the house until we’d gotten Annie back, which meant no showers.

I looked up at the house, smirking.

“Tonight’s full moon, Flint,” I said quietly. “They won’t be able to sense us.” I held up the amulet that hadn’t left my neck since meeting Christobel, showing it to Flint. “And we’re going to give them a night they’ll never forget.”

Grinning, I turned my back on him, staring up at the house.

Gordon Knight had made a hell of a lot of enemies in his lifetime. He was about to find out that I was going to be the worst one he’d every encounter.

Make no mistake of it.

Radleigh:

Full moons just weren’t what they used to be. Before all this shit with Annie, I’d enjoyed wandering about the forest in the middle of the night with no-one telling me what to do. Now, I had to stay with the pack, and not wander off. What was I? Six? No, because if I was six, I wouldn’t be turning into a massive great wolf every time the moon looked a certain way.