Episode 14

Episode 14: GOOD NEWS, BAD NEWS

            The cold air made Jenna's sinuses act up irregularly and she had no choice but to awake out of bed. She looked as though she had arisen from a coffin; her eyes were puffy and red and her cheeks were swollen and full of bed lines. She sighed heavily, "How am I ever going to get through today when I already feel like this?" She mumbled to herself.

She stretched and yawned and between rubbing eyes, she stopped to stare at her feet. She gazed at them as if they were the most amazing in the world. She smiled earnestly, "Oh yeah, no cast." 

An idea hit her and she sprang out of bed; a feat she could not manage for about four weeks. She anxiously picked up the phone and waited for a reply, "It's off!" 

"Good morning to you too. I'm now barely eating breakfast," replied Alli on the other end.

"And I just got of bed. Who cares!" Jenna responded excitedly and continued in her celebration, "It's off! It's off!" She then followed up with a long-winded explanation, "Last night the cast was taken off. I can walk again without any extra baggage!"

Her blue eyes shone with mischief, "So you know what this means right?" She was teasing and drawing anticipation.

"Nope, you lost me," Alli admitted.

"Alli, how could you!" continued Jenna in her teasing voice, "The rink tonight! I was serious that we're doing some very much 'feetable' activities when that thing comes off! So...."

"Wow, you don't mess around, do you? Shouldn't you be taking baby steps first before going skating," offered Alli.

"My ankle was severely sprained but not broken, that's why I didn't need the crutches after the first week. It's OK, trust me," Jenna explained.

"OK..." Alli found herself agreeing to the outing though reluctantly.

"Great! I can't wait. We haven't hung out in ages. I know you will look cute as usual in that very short two piece outfit of yours. You know the one that shows off your rocker, thin stomach. Any guy there will die seeing you in it and believe me...."

On the other end Alli could not quite gather the rest of what her friend was saying. In fact, she found herself having a hard time swallowing a mouthful of cereal. She was becoming increasingly mortified and looked it which was beginning to capture her parents' attention. 

"I'm sorry, I just can't." She looked sick as she said the words. Without waiting for a response, she put down the phone. She looked up at her staring parents.

"I'm not hungry. I need to go." She said still with huge, devastated eyes. She got out of the seat and was out of the door despite her mother's rant that she had barely eaten. 

Alli had tried relentlessly to forget what happened just a couple days ago but there it was again staring her in the face. She couldn't bare someone else finding out her secret; Terry's knowing was already one big mistake.

[theme song]

              "Still have time to pretty up, huh, sis?" Darcy remarked in an undertone that was very obviously bitter. She had just walked into the bathroom and noticed Clare putting on her last minute touches on her makeup. 

Clare put down the mascara brush with an angry fist and stared angrily at her sister, "I've heard enough last night Darcy! I don't want to do this now, please."

"Aww, Mummy's upset!" mocked Darcy cruelly.

"FYI, this is the first time I've even had the chance to pretty up in days. With Jake going home with his father,  it was great not getting an extra early wake up call." Clare informed her.