Chapter 40

d'oh my god today is the day...

*************

Chapter 40

(Brooke's POV)

"Hungry?" Niall asked, giving me a plate of chicken and rice.

"Yes!" I laughed, digging in. Food just tastes ten times better when you're pregnant. I still have three more months to go, so I don't have to worry about a thing.

"You gonna finish that?" Niall joked as I licked off the last grains of rice on my plate.

"Are you?" I retorted. He just shook his head and laughed. Suddenly, my iPhone blared my ringtone.

"MY HEART IS PARALYZED, MY HEAD WAS OVERSIZED I'LL TAKE THE HIGH ROAD LIKE I SHOULD!" 50 Ways to Say Goodbye by Train blared out of my iPhone speakers

"Hello?"

"Brooke!"

"Hey, Aiden!"

"Brooke....Charlotte....hurry!"

"Aiden, slow down I can't understand what you're saying."

"CHARLOTTE'S GIVING BIRTH!"

I quickly hung up, grabbed my purse and left. Niall was right on my heels. I backed out of our driveway, and sped down to the hospital. Once I got there, Niall and I signed in, then hurried to Charlotte's room.

"Hey, Lotte. How are you feeling?" I asked her, seeing her breathing heavily on the hospital bed.

"I'm fine. Just the contractions right now. He's not ready until another thirty minutes to an hour," Charlotte smiled weakly at me.

"Don't worry, we're here for you," I grabbed her hand quickly. Suddenly, Charlotte yelled in pain.

"That one really hurt," she stated, laughing nervously. A few minutes later, she screamed. Not yelled. Screamed.

"Nurse, I think she's ready," I told the nurse. She ran to get the doctor, and they both kicked us out of the room except for Aiden. I ran out, and right into a passing doctor.

"Be careful, dear. You don't want to upset your baby," he told me, and kept walking. I smiled and nodded. I felt a pinch in my stomach, then looked down below my dress. Three droplets of blood were there. Oh. My. God. The baby's coming.

"Niall!" I leaned against him, breathing heavily like Charlotte was. I was more frightened than in pain. "Get a doctor! Please!"

Niall looked around for a doctor, but couldn't find one.

"Somebody help me! Please! My wife is having her child!" Niall yelled, looking for a doctor, nurse, or somebody. After about fifteen minutes, Niall still wasn't back. I felt like someone was ripping out my stomach as I cried out in pain. That hurt. I sat in a chair, and grabbed my stomach.

"Niall!" I yelled again, this time crying. He can't just leave me! "Niall! Niall! Niall! Niall!"

"I'm coming!" I heard Niall yell from down the hall. He brought a doctor with him. Niall suddenly picked me up and carried me to the nearest empty room. I screamed out in pain again.

"Sweetie, your baby is coming faster than we anticipated," the doctor calmly spoke. I nodded, screaming again. This is worse than I thought it would be!

"Niall, I'm scared," I told him, continuing my crying.

"Don't be. Brooke, I promise it'll all be over soon," Niall comforted me. Amidst my cries, I heard cries down the hall. Of a baby. It sounds as though Jacob Finn is offically here. I still have to give birth.

"Okay, we don't have time to move you to another room, so you're going to give birth here," the doctor told me calmly. He gave me a nod, and I nodded back. "Sir, do you want to stay?"

"Of course," Niall replied, grabbing my hand.

"Okay, we're going to start in just a minute. Let me get my gloves on and I'll have a table ready. Are you ready, Mrs. Horan?" he asked me. I nodded. "Okay. We're going to start off nice and easy. You can go ahead and start pushing, dear. Just don't strain yourself too much. You need to save your energy."

I began trying to push my baby out. Yes, it does sound gross. Nothing happened. Just pain. Pure pain.

"Okay, you can rest for a few seconds," he said. I breathed heavily. "Your daughter is perfectly fine right now, so we can go again. Ready? Go."

I tried again. This time, I gripped the sides of the hospital bed, almost crushing Niall's hand.

"You can do this, Brooke," Niall said. I smiled at him as best I could. Sadly, it wasn't much.

"Your baby is coming out quickly, Mrs. Horan. One last push. Ready? Go," the doctor said. I cried out until I heard the doctor rushing to get her somewhere.

"Where is he taking our baby, Niall?" I asked, turning towards him. She didn't even cry, which surprised me.

"Sweetheart, Aubrey is really small," Niall sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"Okay," I replied, trying to get him to make his point.

"And you gave birth three months early," Niall replied, explaining it all. She's premature.

"Is she okay?" I asked.

"I'm sure she'll be fine. Just get some rest, okay?" Niall recommended, kissing my head. I nodded, relaxing into the soft pillow. Niall left, but came back with a cup of cold water.

"Mrs. Horan," the doctor greeted, coming in without the baby. Where is Aubrey? "Your daughter is breathing and everything is fine, surprisingly. We just want to keep her here for a few days to keep her under close watch."

"Can I see her?" I asked him.

"Give yourself some time to recover, then just ask me if you want to see her, okay? Congratulations to the both of you," he shook our hands.

"Thank you," I whispered as he left. To my surprise, he heard me, and smiled before leaving.

'''''''''''''

"Come on in," the nurse told me, keeping her voice low. I went into the incubation room to see little Aubrey there, no hair on her tiny head. I couldn't help but gasp at the sight of her. This is my daughter. She opened her eyes, and I looked into them. They were a sharp blue-green.

"Hi, Aubrey. I'm your mommy," I whispered. She didn't react.

"It seems as though she's going to get used to her ears in time," the nurse told me. I nodded. "I should inform you, though. Because of her premature birth, it is possible that her ears aren't fully developed at all. She could potentially be deaf."

"Deaf?" I asked the nurse. She nodded silently. Crap.

*************

this is not the last chapter! the next one is D:

Love,

~B~xxx