chapter one

sky blue falls 0-2 to the seattle reign at yurcak field. it's cold, windy, and wet, and everyone, even the victors, look miserable. the post game encounter is the first time in almost a month that hope and kelley really speak to each other and it's fleeting and unfulfilling. a quick run up in the rain for a flimsy one armed hug in which hope mutters, "good game. see you in winnipeg?" kelley's already shivering from the cold, but the way hope's breath brushes against her cheek has her shivering for another reason. she nods and they agree to meet each other in the parking lot later if there's time.

kelley spots her. hope's gait unmistakable and the way her ponytail swooshes. the bright headlights of the reign bus silhouetting her profile and always present gucci bag. she's surrounded by teammates and kelley knows it's not the right time, but too many unanswered questions linger between them.
"solo!" kelley's standing against the fence and waiting; wind and rain battering against the hood of her black raincoat. hope turns and starts towards her. the laughter she shares with her teammates dissipates and her expression grows a little more hardened- nothing to be worried about, but kelley knows this look. she's only ever seen it on the pitch.
"you actually waited?"
as if kelley would have actually left. it stings a little that hope had intended on it.
"im good, thanks. how about you?" it comes out more dryly than kelley had anticipated, but the essence of it reaches hope. her gaze softens amidst the elements blowing in her face and she almost looks guilty even though kelley hasn't accused her of anything. yet.
hope lets out a breath. "sorry. how are you?"
kelley knows that hope doesn't actually want to know the real answer because the real answer would entail her recalling the events of one particular night last month in san diego, after a 3-0 win to china. a semi drunken night that led kelley into hope's hotel bed and then waking up alone, tangled in the sheets of said bed with her clothes still scattered along the floor. it's a night she wants to remember and simultaneously forget.
hope looks cold anyways with only her thin, hoodless reign training jacket on.
"i'd be better if it'd stop raining."
a smile finally hints at hope's lips and kelley relaxes a little, but her guard is still up.
"you played good," hope says, her voice sincere.
"you were watching me?" kelley seems surprised and doesn't know whether to read into it or take it at face value. but this is hope we're talking about so she takes it at face value.
"i have to keep my eyes on everyone."
"right." kelley balls her hands into fists in her pocket. there's been so little communication between the two of them that it's like she forgets how to talk to hope. it used to be so easy and natural; flirtatious and clever. after all, that is how she wound up in hope's bed in the first place. "where are you staying? if it's close by maybe we can, like, have dinner or something. my apartment is just-"
"kelley..." hope looks down at her feet and then back up. she wipes away the raindrops that blur her vision, smudging her mascara. always in vain, that hope. but she has to be when she's constantly followed by the media and fans. kelley knows she's pushing it, but she misses hope more than she cares to admit and maybe she's a little hurt too, but having her so close and not being able to be with her is almost cruel. "i don't- do you really think that's a good idea?"
kelley fights the urge to frown. "why not?"
"i have a six am flight tomorrow," hope tries a different angle, her eyes unable to meet kelley's. "i'll see you in a week though, right?"
"but it's only- nevermind. okay."
awkward silence had never been a thing between them until now. kelley leans back on her heels and hope looks behind her, gauging how much time she has left. somehow kelley expected hope to be a little warmer and friendlier tonight, but suffice it to say, that's what happens when you sleep with one of your best friends and then ignore each other for a few weeks. things get weird.
"i should probably go." hope's expression is flat. there's no smile, no frown, and there's no trademark furrow between her brows.
"kay." it's purposely short and curt and it's meant as a jab because kelley doesn't have much else to say, but even with one syllable, it's enough to make hope step forward.
"it doesn't have to be like this, kel." she pulls kelley hand out of her pocket and loosely holds it. it's her attempt at smoothing things over because she's missed having kelley to talk to. even in the rain, her touch is just as soft and warm as kelley remembers and the memories leave her wistful. "we can go back to the way we were."
kelley plasters on a forced smile. she doesn't want things to go back to how they were. she feels stupid for wanting more especially because she knew what hope's intentions were before any of this happened, yet she can't help but think that if hope would just try, maybe they could move in that direction.
kelley gives her hand a gentle squeeze. "get home safe, okay?"
hope nods. maybe it's against her better judgement, but she leans forward and gives kelley a quick kiss on the cheek, and maybe it lingers for just a few seconds longer than it should, but as quickly as it happens, hope's pulled away and is already on the bus before kelley can get out another word and register the kiss.