chapter four

though it may be undeserved, when they get back to the hotel, most of the team finds themselves at the local bar down the street. no doubt it was syd's and ashlyn's idea.
kelley decides to stay in and call it a strike of luck or a curse, but after an awkward encounter in the hallway where hope literally walks into her coming around a corner, kelley somehow winds up in her hotel room. again.
she plays it off coolly like she hadn't possibly been waiting for this to happen.
it's quiet for a while with no one else to help fill their silences and everything that they refuse to talk about hangs thickly in the air around them. the fuzzy yellow glow of the wall lamps radiate throughout the room and kelley sits on the edge of the becky's bed, staring out the window at the bland scenery of low-rise buildings, neon signs, and headlights.
she can't figure out how this happened. catching feelings for hope, that is. they've always had this crazy and weird chemistry, but up until the last time they were really together, hope had never shown any signs of actually wanting kelley in that way so she simply chalked it up to "just a crush."
so had she ever really expected to end up naked in bed with her? no. though she'd thought about it. and had she anticipated on wanting more? definitely not. (maybe a little).
okay, so maybe kelley's crush is more than a crush and she's beginning to realize that now because all she wants to do is cuddle up with hope and watch a movie. maybe let their hands wander. maybe make out a little. and then maybe fall at with her head on hope's chest while she holds her tightly.
fine. she's head over heels.
it isn't like she hasn't tried endless times to tell herself to get over it, to just be friends again because after all, that's what they were great at. they flirted a lot, yeah, but that was just them. it's how everyone saw them and nobody batted an eye and now that there are feelings involved, for kelley anyways, she's letting everything gets so screwed up.
somewhere behind her, seemingly oblivious to any of this, hope rummages through her duffle bag and pulls out a bottle of champagne.
"where on earth did you get that?" kelley ask, turning around.
hope shrugs. "i think the guy at reception has a crush on me." kelley wants to say who doesn't, but keeps her mouth shut. "i had to hide it from becky but i don't think she's coming back tonight because zola's in town too."
kelley's heartbeat quickens and drops into her stomach. the thought that they might be alone again overwhelms her with an odd rush of emotion. this is exactly the way that their last tryst together started, except it was red wine and they actually had something to celebrate. kelley wouldn't call it a sparkle, but there's this look in hope's eyes that she's only seen once before and it kind of makes her go weak in the knees.
"should we open it?" hope gestures towards the bottle. normally she wouldn't ask, but the circumstances feels different so she does.
kelley responds in the way of grabbing the two glasses by the coffee makers and placing them on the table next to hope.
pop goes the cork.