Gloom | III

The drip drops from the water fountain woke the boy. The boy rubbed his eyes calmly and then he could see the water flow carelessly at the pond. This was all thanks to the beaming light that shone in the chamber through the crack in the wall the boy made a while back. The boy scrambled once again and poked his face inside the hole, watching. The lights went upwards at the bridge and slowly they faded and let the boy hope next time would be soon. But as the boy hoped, someone was tossed inside the chamber. Along with them, a heavy voice boomed from the old well where the person came from. ''Who was that?'' it asked. Another distant voice replied after a short moment. ''Stella. The reason she is on these pits is unknown by me and it's unfortunate I assume,'' that's what they said. Not long after, those voices cackled and it was more distant to the boy's ears.

The boy quickly went to meet the new being, almost excitedly. He saw a body lying there on the floor and he quickly held her in his arms. He pushed the strands of hair on her face away to look at her. ''Wake up,'' he murmured softly as if those were the boy's ever last words and he spoke them with a hint of coldness in his breath, somehow, in the depths of a dungeon that wasn't cold at all. Then, the eyes opened. She sat down and coughed. The boy feared she would perish, but that wasn't the occasion. An idea crept in. The boy traveled towards the fountain and pushed in his hands inside taking a portion of the water. He decided to bring it towards the girl, but as he did so, the water escaped his hands through the gaps of the fingers that he clenched tight. It angered the boy, but not to a great extent. He shook his hands and the water dispersed. Soon, he went to the girl. He became irritated. The boy, more or less gave up on the idea and decided to follow a new one. ''There is water over there, do you need a hand?'' he asked. She nodded, but she kept coughing with her hand covering her mouth. The boy helped her up and walked her towards the fountain; then she drank from it. The water ceased her coughing and she seemed better the moment she swallowed. ''Thank you,'' she spoke and the boy was glad. He smiled and for the first time in a long time he saw the light emanate from a person rather than a simple crack on the wall inside a dungeon full of nothingness and madness.