2.1. The Law, the Vow and the Contract

^^, Waaah! Finally had some free time. I've been looking for a real job for the past two weeks so been very busy with interviews and stuff. So here it goes. Thanks for all who still read this book. =)  Oyasuminasai~

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Darkness crawls to those who doubts but those who doubts to seek the truth are those who tried to look for the white amongst the black.

The ringmaster of the Constalletos and a foster father to Ania for sixteen long years, Logus Leto stared at her departing adopted daughter. Ania didn’t even look back. She held herself with considerable courage walking towards her chosen path. She has a strong resolve burning in her eyes when she bid him goodbye. Logus doesn’t have that. He doesn’t have the resolve. He is as a matter of fact doubtful. He knows the consequences of sending her to the enemy but he also knew about the law and the vow he made sixteen years ago but what made him say yes to Cephrim was the fact that Ania couldn’t stay with them anymore. Not after what happened. If it’s him he knew he can help her or hopes he can help her somehow, he is Picassa’s master after all. They have a contract.

He completely forgot about the law and vow, after all he didn’t really thought Cephrim will ever come back. He was different back then or more appropriately he was dying back then. But three days ago he appeared, very alive and very different. Well sixteen years was long enough to heal him more or less revive him but Logus didn’t think he could make it. He was wrong again. The moment he saw Ceprhim walking towards the tent along with his new butler he knew at certain point he couldn’t be trusted. Not with that air around him. It was full of malice and killer intent. Not the Cephrim he had talked with sixteen year ago. His eyes where the color of the mourning night but he can see the red glint in them, like tears of hidden hell. He feared the worst. He managed to kill his son. It seems impossible but impossible is not Cephrim. He told him that with a smile. And that was what Cephrim is aiming all along. It’s either me or Ambrose.

He never took his gaze away from her until she disappears with the two men in the foggy forest.

He didn’t know his reason when he left the new born to him sixteen years ago, they don’t actually trust each other so why him? Then now there is his sudden return, his intentions and his reason for taking back Ania was unclear and appalling with more ways than one. He wished that he hadn’t made that vow at all because he was sure he couldn’t keep it and he was right. His instinct told him so but he ignored it thus he have to suffer. All he wished right now is for this decision to be right and hopefully it can save her daughter. He hopes somehow the Cephrim who trusted the young Ania to him and the person that Picassa left her daughter before she died was still there somewhere behind those cold eyes. If not then he has no other choice but break the law and fulfill his broken vow.

“I’m sorry for breaking my promise Cephrim—” he clenched his fist. “But Akademia’s fortune keys never lies. Spirit of the Sun saves your daughter.” He whispered to the wind and the memories of the past burn into his mind, cursing him with thousand daggers.

“What vow?” A voice came from behind. It struck him that Canary was still standing behind him Hearing his prayers. “What kind of vow did you make with a person like Cephrim Roddux?”

Her eyes are piercing and begging for him to answer. “Picassa made a contract with Cephrim and Ania…” He tried to look away but he knows he must not so he stared at the young woman’s pained eyes. He has to tell her. This secret can no longer be contained. “is Picassa’s daughter your-”

“-Niece. The daughter of my sister, she is Ania?”

She is beyond shock. She’s mad, happy and regretful at the same time. Her long lost sister had a child and she was with her all along. She didn’t even know. Her beloved sister’s child was just within her reach and now she’s gone. “I’m sorry. I had to keep it secret for everyone, especially for Ania.”

“How could you master?” For the first time she felt really angry with her master, the one who let her join his troupe, their clan, their family, the one who treated her beloved sister like his own. She stared at her hands as if she can still feel Ania beside her. Tears dripping in her cheeks as the thought of losing someone important to her occur to her. She looks at the forest where her newly found niece has been sent away. She was about to rush to Ania and saved her from that man when Logus Leto had found her arms and restrained her from going.

“We can’t. It has been opened.” Suddenly the thought of Ambrose falling from the trapeze filled her mind. Now everything is clear to her but it is like a glass that was shattered for it bears an awful truth. “The law was effective. He had taken full account of it.”

“You’re lying.” She said but she knew she was the one lying to herself. It has been done.

                                                                             *******************