Chapter 7: Lessons Begin

“Post, ma’am!” a messenger stood at the door of the farmer’s cottage, curiously looking in as he awaited someone to take the letter.

Mrs Goldworth shuffled over, apron still tied around her waist, and hair all frazzled. “Yes, young man? How may I help you?” her gaze travelled up and down the boy, and then rested on the letter in his hands. “You have something for me, I assume?”

“Uh, yes ma’am,” he began.

Louisa interrupted him as she descended the stair. “Ooh!” she squealed, looking at the letter. “Esme must’ve written to us!” Louisa turned to the staircase, and called her sister. “Heidi, you must come! A letter has arrived!”

Almost instantaneously Heidi nearly flew down the stairs, and stopped beside her sister. “Where is it from?” she asked the messenger, quite breathless.

The boy shrugged. “Maybe you should see for yourselves.” Then he turned to Mama, cleared his throat and rubbed his index finger and thumb together. Realizing his hint, Mama pressed a gold coin into his palm. The boy grinned, and touched his cap, bowing slightly. “Thank ye very kindly, ma’am.” He spun on his heel and left.

Louisa could not contain her excitement, and took the letter from Mama’s hands. “Oh, let us open it already!” She looked at the return address and frowned. “But ‘tis neither from the Manning estate nor the palace,” she pouted. “Esme has not written! How dare she!”

Heidi rolled her eyes, and took the letter from her sister. Her eyes widened. “It is from the barracks, Mama. Surely nothing has happened to Ken.”

Surprise decorated Mama’s features. “Well, read it daughter!”

“Dear Goldworth family,” Heidi began. “This letter has been sent to notify you that Kenneth David Goldworth has been stationed at his Majesty’s palace as of July 12th 1708.” She stopped. “Oh, Mama! Ken is coming home! He must come visit us and tell us everything! We have not seen him since…” Heidi’s voice trailed off.

“Since Papa died, and Ken went to take his place as a soldier as soon as he was old enough.” Louisa finished. “Ow!” Louisa cried as Heidi pinched her arm. “‘Tis only the truth,” she mumbled, rubbing her arm.

Heidi glared at her sister, and then turned back to the letter. “They say he’ll be a bodyguard for the King himself, Mama! Imagine that!”

“And his salary?” Mama asked, with a haughty sniff.

Louisa and Heidi looked at each other, obviously irritated that their mother was not as excited as they that Kenneth was returning. The oldest daughter looked back at the piece of paper, and scanned it. “Three thousand a year,” she whispered; eyes wide in shock. “That is more than Papa had, Mama.” Heidi looked at her mother.

Mama smiled brightly, and clasped her hands together. “Well then!” she said. “Preparations must be made for my son’s return!”

(#)

Brigitte tightened her grip around her glass as Esme entered the servants’ mess hall, smiling at each servant she recognized. She was beautiful, even in that simple farm girl frock of hers. Her hair fastened neatly into a braid, and short strands of pale gold hair framed her face. Esme walked quietly, not seeming to want attention, but received it all the same.

Oh, how she burned with jealousy! That witch was soaking it all up! The fascinated stares from the young men, and the looks of admiration from all of the maids… None had looked at Brigitte the way that everyone looked upon Esme this day! Much to her despair, Esme spotted her familiar face and began to walk in Brigitte’s direction.