Chapter 8: Civilized

Dearest Heidi, you will never know exactly what it’s like to be here unless you are right beside me! Such wealth his Majesty has! I still struggle with believing that it’s not just all a dream that I might wake up from.

But I fear for Fitz, Heidi! The distance makes me think less and less about him. I have no clue as to what I should do. In some ways, I feel guilty. Am I so heartless that I instantly forget about him the moment he leaves? Other than the fact that he seems to adore me, we have little to talk about. Tell me, sister… Is this love? You are the expert in these things. Tell me what to do!

Heidi read Esme’s letter with the tiny flickering flame of a candle by the window. She finished this section after reading it for the fourth time. What was love, after all? Was it simply an understanding between two individuals that could eventually create a bond greater than that of a family? No doubt, Fitz did love Esme. All of his actions and words have proved it to be true.

But, was the feeling mutual? Heidi understood her youngest sister’s plight. Here Fitz was, falling intensely in love with Esme, not giving her time to think at all, except to develop some sort of infatuation that would eventually dissolve given time. Did Fitz realise that, though?

She sighed. For some odd reason, the future with Fitz that her youngest sister had gotten herself into did not seem as though it would last. Heidi picked up her pen, and wrote another scene for her story.

(#)

Home at last. Kenneth Goldworth knocked on the old splintered wooden door of the farmhouse. For some odd reason, it looked so much smaller now, and even more fragile. But Ken knew. Ken knew that it was he who had changed; become stronger and less breakable.

The door opened before him, and a maid was on the other side. Her tight lips broke into a wide smile. “Missus Goldworth!” she called over her shoulder. “The Master’s come ‘ome!”

Ken bowed. “Abigail,” he greeted the middle-aged maid. “Good to see you again.”

Abigail smiled again, and ushered him in. At that moment, Louisa came crashing into him. “Ken! Oh, Ken! It’s really you!” she cried, hugging him tight. “Welcome home, Ken!” Noting that her mother and sister had still not come downstairs, Louisa rolled her eyes as she looked up and called them down. “Mama! Heidi! Come, quick!”

They both came down, embracing the newcomer. They all talked at once, overwhelming poor Ken. He had not had this much attention and talking from anyone since he left home! Soldiers weren’t the most talkative people in the world, after all. “I am fine, Mother,” he assured Mrs Goldworth, chuckling when she worried over his thin frame. That was when he noticed an absence. “Where is Esme?”

Heidi and Louisa looked at each other. Esme had always been the closest to Ken. Mrs Goldworth answered. “At the palace, son. She works as a music teacher for the advisor’s daughter.” The pride in her voice was unmistakeable.

The chattering and excitement of his homecoming was lost on Ken’s ears as they led him into the parlour. His own sister was working for the advisor. The very one…

It was so hard to believe the irony of it all! His sister did not know what she was getting herself into, walking right into the claws of that Monster. Even bowing to the will of his to teach his daughter!

He must convince her to return home when his duty began. Or would it be too late?

“Is that not correct, Ken?” Heidi’s attention was directed at him, expecting him to listen to at least a sliver of what had been said without him.

“Beg your pardon?” he asked, hoping they would be merciful. “I am very tired from the journey,” he said. It was the truth. “Is it all right if I rest before dinner?”