Step two

Staring out at the after apocalyptic landscape, I wondered whether I was the first person in history to set eyes upon this world

Staring out at the after apocalyptic landscape, I wondered whether I was the first person in history to set eyes upon this world. Volcanoes that disappeared into the dark ash ridden sky spewed molten lava over the sharp jagged rocks below me and the cliff face I was hanging on to suddenly seemed as cosy and safe as my bed at home. I took a deep breath and lent out off the cliff side to see what was around the other side. My foot slipped and a heartbeat later I was falling, my arms and legs flailing around trying to find some sort of position that would decrease the risk of fatal injuries. As I neared the ground, where the lava was starting to overrule, I thought about what I had come here for, to explore the world and its environment to see if it was in any way possible a place for humanity to live. I would never get to report back, I would never be able to share my survival stories, I would never...

At that moment I was suddenly hoisted up into the air, merely seconds from entering the writhing mass of molten rock below. I wasn't sure what had happened but I knew for sure I was thankful for it.