1•the invite

Stella's POV
School sucks.
Seriously, we spend half our lives behind a desk just to be put back behind a desk for the other half.

My name is Stella Maverick. Straight A student who never does anything bad and I'm sick of it.

Today is the first day of junior year and I'm hoping it'll be different.

It's pretty cold today In New York City so I wear a pastel pink sweater with blue jeans. As I slip on my white Vans my phone rings.
I answer.

"Hey Stella happy first day of school!" I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, yeah whatever. What's up?"

"I'm waiting outside."

"Okay, I'll be down in 2 minutes." Once I get off the phone with Matthew, I quickly put some makeup on and leave. As I'm walking down the stairs of my penthouse I tie my long curly brown hair in a high ponytail.

Matt and I have been best friends since kindergarten. Actually he's been pretty much my only friend. We are the kids who don't get invited to parties. He has short brown hair and brown eyes.

Matt already has a taxi waiting for us.

"Hey Stella how was your summer?" He asks while pushing up his glasses. I shrug and enter the taxi.

My summer was horrible. Since Matt was away at his grandparents the whole summer, I spent mine watching Netflix in my closet. Literally.

"It was okay. I missed you."

____________________________________

"Welcome back to school class I hope you all had a great summer." Says my English teacher Ms. Larson.

Since it's the first day of school none of the teachers actually teach things and it's already third period which is gym.

As I'm changing in the girls locker room, I overhear two girls gossiping.

"Omg Jade did you hear? There's a rumor going around that Claire just lost her virginity."

"No way! To who?"

"Shawn Freaking Mendes."

"Are you serious! But he's with Edith."

"Yeah but you know already, he's the de-virginizer, if he's dating the most popular girl in school or not."

I envy people like him. Mendes thinks he's so big and bad just cause he wears a leather jacket sometimes and he's 6 foot 1. He's one of those boys who thinks he can do whatever he wants because it's cool and doesn't care if he gets in trouble.

After P.E it's time for lunch where I go to the library instead. When I get there, I see Matthew sitting at the table reading a book and eating a banana. His phone rings, he answers it. "Hello?" His expression changes from confused to terror. "Oh my gosh I'll be right there."

"Stella I have to go!" There's tears brimming his eyes. "My m-mom her driver, w-was in a car accident she's at the hospital I-I have to go! Please tell my teacher what happened thank you!" Matthew began to sprint away leaving his stuff. I take his banana and start eating it. Once I gather his stuff, I head over to the mystery books.

When I finish picking out my book, I go to check out, but as I walk there I trip over my backpack.

"Whoaa" I shriek. As I'm falling I suddenly grow confused because I don't hit the floor. "What the fuck?" I mutter.

"You shouldn't use such profanity in a library." A deep but not really deep voice says. The voice sounds like a guy who is pinching his nose. I look up and freeze. Where has my mind been? Will someone please tell me why I'm in the arms of Shawn Mendes?