Prologue

Floating. He was floating in the aether, silent but unsure. The darkness around him was thick and cold. He had tried to manipulate the ebb and flow - to push the cold away but it only seemed to coil tighter around him. When it did, he felt a strange comfort almost like an embrace. It was short-lived, however, when he sensed something slither somewhere above his head.

He would usually ignore something like this until he was more grounded in the Void, but a strange tug caused him to look up. He saw nothing but a tiny purple whisp of an energy trail where the thing had passed by. A part of him knew he was drifting into something else's territory, though he was unafraid. He felt, somehow, that whatever it was had wanted him there - that he was more than welcome.

And usually, he was grounded and already had his own idea of where he planned to go. But this time, he had slipped so quickly into the pitch darkness that he wondered if it had even been his wish to do so in the first place. Did something invite him? And was he naive enough to oblige? He could no longer remember.

Suddenly, he felt a brief ripple of warmth emanate from his palm just before another directionless tug. He knew for sure, then, that something wanted his attention. But what? As far as he knew, he was a relatively inconspicuous spec in the Void. And just as that thought had formed, he saw the tiniest little trail of light flickering in front of him, no thicker than a strand of hair. A sinking feeling addled him when he noticed this tiny gold strand was attached to him, wrapped around his middle where he had felt the tug.

A tether. He froze and his mind raced with the confirmation that he had, in fact, been invited here. He was a little afraid now, as he had only ever heard rumors of beings powerful enough to lay a tether that transcended planes. The tether was very weak, though. A mere remnant of the whole. It looked like a thin, glowing chain and he was the pendant. The tether trailed off into the darkness in front of him. He wondered how far it could possibly go, but he wasn't sure if he wanted to find out.

His trembling hand reached for the chain, hesitantly and without much thought. When he grasped it, he thought he heard a voice and he felt the vibration move through his whole body.

"Come.."