Chapter 14 - Edited

* Edited December 23, 2017. (First published September 7, 2015)

I could only look around in horror at the dried blood that was smeared across the walls of the buildings on each side of the street. Some of them were merely shattered ruins of what they used to be, walls crumbling, windows broken and scattered about the ground, and rooftops caved in on themselves. The smell of death filled even my own nose, making me wince in sympathy for those around me who could smell it far better than I.

It was beyond clear that the looters had never left the town. At least, not alive. Flicking a hand through the air, I made a halfhearted attempt at shooing away the buzzing flies that filled the air after having gorged themselves. The sound of someone's stomach being emptied behind me had me thankful I had not eaten earlier, even if it did have me feeling a bit slower than usual.

It was Daniel's hand on my shoulder that had me turning to the side, following his arm to see he was pointing at a large brick building that Michael and Lucas were standing in front of, deep in conversation with each other as the others kept watchful eyes on their surroundings. Nodding, I began walking forward, Daniel following close behind.

"-could still have supplies left inside." I could barely make out what Michael was saying as I neared, his voice low as he gestured to the building again.

"And if it is trapped? Would you risk someone's life just to find out if there is something in there? What if it's as empty as the other towns we have searched?" I'd never heard Lucas talk back like that, his voice filled with quiet agitation and a hint of worry.

When they finally noticed me, even I could feel the tension filling them as they stopped talking and looked away, Michael pulling out a small notebook as he began reading over his notes. Glancing quickly at Daniel, I sighed and took the last few steps forward before turning to our leader, suddenly feeling honestly weary for the first time in my memories.

"What kind of supplies are you hoping to find in there?" I asked bluntly, wanting to know how desperate he was to get in there, needing to know if he really would risk someone's life to find out what it held.

Looking me over for a few minutes, he finally nodded and let out a sigh, his stiff posture suddenly relaxing. For once, he looked like he didn't hold all the answers, simply looking like someone who was trying his best not to lose everything he had in a world that had seemed to turn its back on him and everyone else still alive.

"Weapons, ammo, travel rations, survival gear, anything and everything that could increase our chances to keep living in this world. If there might be something that we can use in the town or on missions, then can we really afford to just walk away from it without even checking?" Looking into his weary brown eyes, I simply gave a nod and walked past him, ignoring the hand that tried to grab my arm and restrain me.

"You brought me with you for a reason. Let me accomplish what I can for you since I am less at risk than the others. It's not like I have to worry about my risking life. Just keep everyone back, especially Daniel." I only looked back once at the young man that had tried to stop me, seeing Lucas put a hand on his shoulder to halt him in turn.

Facing the door in front of me, I slowly turned the knob and swung the door open, entering the dark, gloomy building. I barely even flinched when the first arrow impaled my thigh, the lack of pain a blessing at that moment as I looked around trying to find the trap I had sprung. I grew more thankful with each consecutive arrow and blade that stabbed into my flesh, happy that it was not one of the others going through this place and leaving a trail of broken arrows and torn flesh behind them.

Amazed at how many traps I had found, either through avoiding them or stepping on the various trip-wires and switches or through accidentally setting them off while attempting to disarm them, I was left wondering just how many more there were in the various rooms I had passed in my search of the house. At least I hadn't found any enemies lurking around so far, a blessing that I was very thankful for. Just because I could take the hits from the traps, didn't mean I wanted to push my luck and try surviving a full-on attack if I didn't have to.

Finally entering the musty basement, I couldn't help letting out a small scream when I heard the gunshot, hearing the sound of it tearing through me and impacting into the wall behind me. Looking down, I saw the ragged hole in my shirt, carefully poking a finger through the hole in curiosity as I thanked whoever was listening that Daniel had not been following behind me.

Seeing the boxes stacked before me, I began prying the lid off of the nearest one, finally smiling when I saw what was inside. I could almost see the smile that would brighten Michael's face as I lifted a sealed package of Emergency Food Rations from the box. My own smile grew wider when I noticed the words on a few of the other boxes.

I don't know if any of them held weapons or ammo, but I think either way that Michael would be more than happy with what was here. Giving the boxes one last glance, I turned and carried the ration pack up the stairs, smiling at the thought of how happy the farmers would be with all the new crops they would be able to start growing this next Spring.

At least, once we could find out if the seeds were still viable enough to sprout and grow.