A Surprisingly Beautiful House

Okay, so I really didn't want to move. To be honest, I didn't want to, no really in it. But of course, my mom got the "best job offer" ever. So, I really didn't have a choice. If Dad was still alive, we might've gotten to stay in Dallas, but he died because of bone cancer two years ago. He left my brother and I in my mother's hands, not that it's a bad thing.

Anyways, my mom's new job relocated her and us to oldest city in the Continental U.S (sorry, I had an Edward from the movie moment. FYI, I'm a huge bookworm). So, my brother CJ a.k.a Caleb Banks Jr., and I have to adapt to this "new" place. When we got to our new house, I automatically screamed. Not only did it look like the house from the oldest version of "Psycho", but it looked haunted or cursed.

"Mom," I say after a few moments of screaming, "Why couldn't we build a house instead of moving into the oldest building in the U.S.?"

"Des, get a hold of yourself. There's nothing wrong with the house," My mother told me, although I didn't believe a word she said.

"Yeah, Des, calm down. It's not like ghosts are real." CJ snickers.

"Sure, and Percy and Annabeth hate each other!" I roll my eyes.

"I don't get why you make so many book analogies. I mean, who reads anymore?"
My eyes widen, "Just because you don't read, doesn't most of the world does. Now, shut up before I go crazy."

CJ just laughs, and returns to messing with his phone. I sigh once more, and finally get out of the car. My mom gets out a few seconds after me, but walks straight into the house. I get my few belongings that we got to bring along with us for the drive, and take it inside.

The foyer had a humongous gold chandelier, that brightened the living room and dining room. I walked through the living room, to see the den connected. The stairs were right inside the kitchen, which you don't see most days. With the every step I took, each stair creaked. At the top, there were five rooms on each side.

The first room on the left, was pretty big. It had a modern touch to it, thankfully. Then, I walked into the bathroom connected to it. It had a bathtub and a shower, both huge. The toilet was hidden behind a door, which I thought was pretty classy. I went back into the room, and set my things down. I guess I'll have this room.

Since my bed won't arrive till tomorrow, I might as well set up a makeshift sleep area. In my purple duffle, I put out two pillows, a Harry Potter throw I've had forever, and some pajamas.
"Des!" My mom yells.
"Yeah, Mom?" I yell back, while putting up some posters.
"I'm going to go to the firm, to fix up my office. You can call in some pizza if you want. Just make sure your brother finds a room!"
"Okay!" I go in my bathroom, and shut the door. The pajamas consist some basketball shorts and a sports bra. When I finish putting them on, I hear the doorbell ring. I run out of the bathroom, then my room, and down the stairs to open the door.

It reveals a boy who looks about a few months older than me, which means he would be eighteen probably. His skin color is a light brown , like mine as well, but he has a dark brown hair, while mine is black. Suddenly, I feel bad I just have on a sports bra and shorts, but then I think, it's my house.
"Hi?" I squeak, but clear my throat, "Hi. How may I help you?"
"Hey. My name's Trent, I live next door," He sticks his hand out for me to shake.
"Oh, cool," I shake his hand, "I'm Destinee. So, do you go to the high school?"
He nods, "Yeah, I'm a senior. How about you?"
"Senior, and my brother," I point inside, "Is a junior. Anyways, what do you do for fun in this boring place?"
He laughs and leans on the door frame, "We have parties of course, go out on dates, go to the movies. Really anything regular teens do."
"That's surprising since it's the 'oldest' place in ten U.S.," I smile at him, "You wanna come in?"
"Sure," He walks in, as I open the door fully. He looks around, "Looks better than I thought."
"Exactly. It's a surprisingly beautiful house."
"Yeah, it is. I'm guessing you already found a room?"
"Correct. I was about to order some pizza. Any suggestions on who to call?"
His hazel eyes brighten, "I actually have like two hot boxes of pizza at my house. My mom won't mind if I bring it over."
I shake my head while grinning, "You don't have to do that."
"I want to! I'll be back in two minutes?" He runs out the door, and over to his house. I smile to myself, I think I just made a friend.

When Trent comes back, he closes the door with his foot, and gestures for me to show him the kitchen. We walk through the living room and den, and finally get to the kitchen. He sets the pizza on the counter, while I get some paper plates my mom put on the counter, I guess before she left.

I open the top box, revealing a pepperoni pizza. I take a slice and put it on a plate, "CJ!"
My brother comes from downstairs, still playing on his phone, "What, Des?"
I glance at Trent, then back towards CJ, "CJ, this Trent. Trent, this is my brother CJ."
"Nice to meet you, man." CJ holds his hand out for Trent to shake, and he does.
"Nice to meet you too," Trent glances at me, "I guess we can eat now." And I simply nod.
•••
We ate a full box of pizza altogether, but Trent let us keep the other box. Just in case our mom wanted anything. We talked for a while about school and what colleges we wanted to go to. He said the people at BMH are pretty nice, no typical cliché beauty queens or jocks. Everyone's different which is a good thing.

Turns out he reads a lot too. We talked about our favorite series and certain topics in them. It was actually one of the best conversations I've ever had. It was around nine o' clock when he decided he should get back to his house. I walked with him to the door, both of us silent.
"It was cool talking to you, Destinee," Trent says, when we're outside.
"Same for you, Trent. I guess I'll see you at school tomorrow?"
"Yep, sounds good. Have a good night!" He starts going down the stairs.
"You too!" I say, as I watch him walk over to his house. When he's in, and I walk back into the house and sigh.
"Somebody gotta crush!" CJ smirks, coming into the foyer.
I roll my eyes, "Shut up, and grow up, Caleb."
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
A/N
Okay, so that's the first chapter of "Cursed".
Please comment and share, but also do not copy this, it's one of my favorite books I've started to write.
~Lauren