The One And Only Chapter

"I rang you and left a voicemail, wondering if anyone had the time to bring me down, if I could sleep to the drums of the city rain. You could've made it up, 'cause I was awake all night long to the drums of the city rain.

"Brother, you didn't have to pick me up or let me sleep on your couch, to the pound of the ache and pain in my head. I was awake all night long to the drums of the city rain.

"I chase the lights and steal the nights. I had to take things to make me feel this, and I can't go back. I don't think I'll sleep tonight as long as I hear the drums of the city rain.

"Only you had the guts to shut me up. I believe every night there's a chance we can walk away, so hold on tight; I won't take too long in the drums of the city rain.

"The nights don't last and I leave alone, wishing I could drive you back, drive you home. I see faces I don't know, I'm tired in the freezing glow. You keep me breathing so don't make the lights go out; I want to drive you home, I need this when I leave alone.

"I remember when you and I would make things up, so many nights we'd go down to where we heard the children play. I miss that sound 'cause now they don't sing so loud over the drums of the city rain.

"I hear strangers laugh on subways and I feel things, like I'm breaking. This is all we have to keep us ill. I won't breathe tonight as long as I still hear the drums of the city rain." The older way brother reminisced before kissing his baby brother's forehead and walking out into the hospital corridor.

"Mr Way, have you said your goodbyes?" The doctor who had been waiting patiently outside questioned in a soft voice.

Gerard could only nod, his throat horse from crying, his cheeks damp and eyes forever glossy.

"I assure you this is the best thing," the doctor put a hand on Gerard's shoulder to comfort him, "taking your brother off life support is better than having false hope; he's shown no signs of improvement these last two months and he'll go peacefully, I promise."

Gerard nodded and gave a grim smile as the doctor entered Mikey's room, and when the door shut behind him, the white haired boy backed up against the wall and slid down it until he was sat on the floor with his knees bent to his chest. He couldn't handle the pain; his baby brother was hurt, dying, dead. Forever.