Chapter 1

Leila's POV

I took the stairs two had a time in my all black Vans. My blue flannel that I had tied around my waist whisked behind me in my own wind as I rushed into the kitchen. To finish my look I wore a plain black tee and light wash short overalls. Normally, I'd be wearing black skinnies but it's supposed to be hot today.

I noticed my sister, Joanna, hadn't come down the stairs yet.

"Joanna, would you get your ass down here?" I yelled. We're gonna be a little late for class today.

"Hold on," She huffed as she came bounding down the stairs in her, regular outfit of, black capri yogas and an inspirational quote tshirt. Her short dark brown hair was pulled back in a ponytail. Sometimes people don't think she's related. I mean, my brother, Lucas aka Luke and I look like twins with our blonde hair and blue eyes. Which we inherited from our dashing father. But she's kind of the odd one out with her hair and brown eyes-- she gets that from our mother. And yet, we're the twins.

Luke now came down the stairs sporting his black ripped knee skinnies and 'Destroy yourself and see who gives a fuck' cutoff tee. His blue eyes seemed to be extra blue today. He was known as a heart throb at our high school. But he graduated last year. Now, Joanna and I are the seniors. We're the top dogs. Sort of.

"Hey, you better get going. That perimeter check isn't gonna do itself," Luke ordered.

I scoffed, "We don't have time!"

He smirked, "Not my fault, Leila. You still have to do it."

"You're such an ass Huke Lemmings," I punched his arm as I walked past him and out the door.

'C'mon, Joanna, we gotta get this done and to school,' I said to her through our mindspeak as I began to run through the woods and around our territory, 'You take North side. I've got South.'

Sometimes, my brother being the Alpha sucks. But what else were we supposed to do? That stupid Hart pack killed him a couple years ago. Luke was the next oldest in our bloodline to take it. So he did. Joanna and I are the Betas, which is the next position in power in a pack.

'On it', Joanna stated back, clearly not amused by it.

I understand that. There's at least another hundred members of our pack that could be doing this, yet he's having us do it.

By the time I was back at the house, I had ten minutes to get to school. It's at least a fifteen minute drive. But.. a five minute run.

'I'm running to school,' I stated to Joanna, 'See you there.'

I quickly ran inside to grab my backpack then I took off for school. I made it as the five minute warning bell rang outside. As I neared inside, I could hear pounding feet behind me. I knew it was Joanna. I opened the door just in time for her to run in and to class. Sometimes she doesn't know how to control her speed. Luckily, most of school is like us. We go to a delinquent school. So, if our anger ever gets the best of us and we have a, in other words, tantrum then it doesn't seem that weird.

As perusual, people tended to stay away from Joanna and I. Or I should say me. I'm known as the hardass Beta. Joanna.. not so much. She has a softer approach to things but can buckle down when she needs to. And definitely knows how to handle her own in a fight. Almost as well as me.

Classes, all of them, seemed to drag on. Though, I still focused. I care about my grades just as much as the next nerd. Except, I don't show it. Ever. It would kind of ruin my rep.

As Joanna and I were walking down the hallway to go out the main doors and go home, they swung open. It all seemed slow mow as two guys came walking in, the wind from doors opening blowing their hair back. Blondie with the blue eyes was shorter than kinda long, curly brunette with green eyes. Brunette has the tattoos on his right arm and peaking a bit through his white crew neck were birds beaks. My eyes went wide. Niall and Harry. I know them.