Chapter One

Links for this chapter:

Kaylee's Outfit: http://www.polyvore.com/one_last_time_o1/set?id=175466686

MJ's Outfit: http://www.polyvore.com/one_last_time_o2/set?id=175467961

Kaylee's Room: http://www.polyvore.com/one_last_time/set?id=175913694

Songs for this chapter:

One Last Time by Ariana Grande

Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol

*****

One last time

I need to be the one to take you home

I finished my song and took a deep breath, feeling exhilarated. The crowd, though small, cheered so loudly that I thought I might go deaf. The flashing lights slowed and formed a spotlight on me. "Goodnight, Minneapolis, and thank you! It's been a great night and I love you so much!" I yelled, waving to the audience, which, if possible, cheered even louder. Even though it was only a small venue, it was my first actual concert, and I was loving it. As I headed backstage with my band following, I pulled out my phone and tweeted:

@KayleeJacobs: just finished my first concert! I love you guys so so much!!💕 @AlextheDrummer08 @MJMiller @ColtonGreen37

"Aww, Kay, you're so sweet!" Colton teased me, rubbing my hair.

"Hey, stop! You know I hate when you touch my hair," I replied, gently punching his shoulder. "Let me go change, I'm all sweaty."

I ran into the dressing room with my band's playful bantering behind me and quickly changed into denim high-waisted shorts, a striped tank top, and my favorite leather jacket. I changed out of my heels and into my converse, but left my mother's ring on my hand. I ran back out to see that the guys in my band had finished changing too, but MJ was still in her dressing room.

"So, Kay, do you want to head over to Subway or something?" Alex asked.

"Sure, why not?" I answered. "SUBWAY!" MJ yelled from behind the curtain of her dressing room. Good lord, that child is crazy. She stepped out in a black leather skirt and a cropped pink sweater.

"MJ, you look adorable!" I exclaimed. "So do you, love," MJ replied in her British accent.

"Can we please go to Subway now?" Alex begged. That boy loves his sandwiches.Every time we go there, he orders half the menu.

"Alright, Alex, but I'm driving," MJ shouted. "What?!" Alex yelled back, "But it's my car!"

"Oh, suck it up, rich boy! We all know you love your Porsche," Colton complained jokingly. "Yeah, give someone else a try!" MJ shot back as she put her hand on her hip.

"Fine, whatever," Alex muttered. He ran over to me. "Hey, at least you can sit by me in the back!" he fake-flirted. "Aww, because you know I looooove you!" I said.

"Break it up, lovebirds," Colton shouted. Then he ran off to the car.

***

One hour and four foot-longs later, we pulled up to my house. "See you at school!" MJ, Alex, and Luke called as I jogged up the brick path. "Bye," I answered as I unlocked the door.

The harsh sounds of slightly drunken shouting reached my ears as I stepped inside the entryway. I internally groaned and snuck upstairs, quickly entering my room. Directly across from me was a window that over looked the small pond in our backyard. I quickly walked over the thick, white carpet and plopped down on my modern white couch to the left of the window.

God. I wish they'd stop fighting and think about me for once. Is that so unfair? I'm their only daughter and they can't put aside their differences for one second to even notice that I've started singing, or that this could be my career, or that tonight was my first god damned concert.

I angrily picked up my guitar from the corner and sat cross-legged on the floor. I began to play one of my favorite songs, Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol. Singing calmed me; instead of getting drunk like a normal teenager, I'd lock myself in my room and play guitar.

We'll do it all

Everything

On our own

We don't need

Anything

Or anyone

If I lay here

If I just lay here

Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

I don't quite know

How to say

How I feel

Those three words

Are said too much

They're not enough

If I lay here

If I just lay here

Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

Forget what we're told

Before we get too old

Show me a garden that's bursting into life

Let's waste time

Chasing cars

Around our heads

I need your grace

To remind me

To find my own

If I lay here

If I just lay here

Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

Forget what we're told

Before we get too old

Show me a garden that's bursting into life

All that I am

All that I ever was

Is here in your perfect eyes, they're all I can see

I don't know where

Confused about how as well

Just know that these things will never change for us at all

If I lay here

If I just lay here

Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

As I finished, I heard my door creak open and I saw my younger brother's head pop out from behind the door. I could see tears running down his cheeks, and a large red patch on his arm, already beginning to turn purple. "JJ, what happened," I asked, panicked, as I pulled him into my room.

"Daddy says he wishes I wasn't born!" Jackson said as he laid his head on my arm.

"JJ, you know he didn't mean it; he and mom love you. I'm the one they should hate."

"But I was listening from behind the door," he says, sniffing as he tried not to cry, then continuing, "and mommy and daddy were talking about... ad-, adop-." He began to let out great big sobs. I hugged him tightly, but now I needed to know what my parents were talking about.

"Adoption?" I asked gently. Jackson nodded. "Okay, JJ, do you know what adoption is?"

Jackson nodded slowly. "It means mommy and daddy don't like us so they want to give us to other people."

A/N- Soooooo how did I do? Did it start too fast; am I moving the story along too quickly? Is this chapter too short or too long? Because I have to idea what I'm doing;)