Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A/N - okay all you Australians, I don't know what stores are popular or if they're even in Sydney, so I'm just putting them in the story anyway. Also- JESUS CHRIST I CANT PUT THE STUPID LINK UP SO KAYLEE'S OUTFIT IS JUST ON POLYVORE MY USERNAME IS EMMA17 SO ALL OUTFITS ARE THERE

Songs for this Chapter: 

Paper Doll by Bea Miller

the next day, three days before Kaylee starts school

I fell asleep early that night, because although it was 6:00 pm in Sydney, it was 3:00 am in Minneapolis. The jet lag was awful; I was barely awake at 3:00 pm and had just managed to stay awake until then.

Now, at about 9:00 am, I could hear Vanessa and Jason moving around downstairs. I changed out of my pajamas and into a pair of sweatpants and a tank top with a cardigan. Of course, I had forgotten that the seasons were opposite of Minneapolis, so my warm clothes were still on their way here.

I wanted to go for a morning run, but I didn't know my way around the neighborhood. I quickly made my way downstairs and into the kitchen.

"Good morning," I said politely to Vanessa and Jason. The glittering, wintery light spilled across the floor and into the kitchen and the smell of scrambled eggs reached my nose. Vanessa and Jason both had professional-looking suits on, and Vanessa's makeup was done flawlessly.

"Good morning, dear," Vanessa said cheerful as she stirred the eggs. Jason smiled at me.

"Do you have a treadmill?" I asked, still wanting to get in my morning run.

"No, but we'd be happy to buy one this weekend."

Oh. I didn't want to be obnoxious and make them buy a bunch of stuff. "If you wouldn't mind, that would be great. I usually go for a morning run."

"That's a fantastic routine!" Vanessa exclaimed as she served the eggs.

"Thanks! I usually run more during the fall and spring, since that's cross-country and track season. I ski in the winter, but that was back in Minnesota."

Vanessa and Jason nodded and began to eat, as did I. The eggs were delicious, and after breakfast, I asked Vanessa to show me where the shops were.

"Dear, I have to work today, but I can ask the neighbor boy to show you around, if you'd like that," Vanessa replied.

"No, no, I'll be fine. I just forgot that the seasons are switched and I packed summer clothes."

"Your clothes should be here sometime in the next few days. We can show you the shops tomorrow, or you could wander around... but I wouldn't want you to get lost," Jason interjected.

"Maybe I'll just walk around near here and try to learn my way around."

"Okay, that sounds good. Just take your phone. Oh! That reminds me, we need your phone number!"

I frowned. "I need to buy a new phone, because my old one broke."

"Oh, well, we can buy you one today after work. What kind are you looking for?" Jason asked.

"Oh, I don't know. Any type of iPhone?"

"Okay, I'll pick it up today."

"Thank you so much," I said, still slightly surprised by their willingness to spend money on me.

"You're most definitely welcome. We've got to go, so we'll see you at around 5:30. Until then, stay safe!" Jason said.

"Alright, I will. Bye."