Small Miracles

(Added 05/6/2013)

“William, our baby girl is finally here,” she whispered counting her daughter’s tiny perfect fingers, her unshed tears shone in her eyes like the untamed sunset on the horizon.

“My beautiful girl,” he replied solemnly brushing her damp hair from her sweaty face, “gave me an angel.”

“I love you William – with all my heart,” she murmured tenderly through her soft happy sobs. Lifting her fingers to his lips he kissed them each pressing them to his cheek, “I love you too Lillian Grace – more than words could describe.”

Pressing her baby over her beating heart she rocked her to sleep as she hummed entranced,

 “♪ Angels up high wrap your wings around my little one

                     in flight with her shining eyes and sparkly smile

she’s all the world needs tonight♪”

Wrapping his arms around the two most precious people in his life, William held them tight and dear thanking God for the small miracles.

“What shall we name our little angle William?” Lillian asked staring longing and lovingly at the small bundle that held half her heart.

“I don’t know,” whispered William brushing his finger over his daughter’s tiny fist. A smile bloomed on Lillian’s face, “I remember when we confirmed the news that we were pregnant,” she reminisced as she handed her angel to her William, “I remember when they all said we would never see this day- that some people weren’t made to bear children,” she whispered almost broken with her chest heaving rapidly- she knew something was wrong.

“William I am so happy to have created a life with you,” she spoke thankful, “I am blessed to have found you, to have created this life with you.”

William stood with his face to the window and his daughter in his arms as the ominous sunset burst with orange and yellow celebrating with him, “no Lillian, we are both blessed to have found each other and created this beautiful miracle in my arms,” he replied in amazement as his daughter’s glossy blue eyes mirrored his own, “I love you,” he whispered gently against her chubby cheeks while he rocked her in his embrace.

“Be good to each other William,” advised Lillian as she took her last breathe.

The happiest and saddest day of his life was just a memory has he gazed upon the hopeful sunrise casting shadows on his beautiful baby girl.

The silence wind brushed soft kisses against his face that he held to the sky, “Daddy? Can we get ice cream now?” her small voice called.

Inhaling deeply, he kneeled and scooped her up in his waiting arms, “sure Lillian Grace,” he whispered into her hair, “anything for my miracle.”

“Okay Daddy,” Lillian nodded, “bye Mommy,” she voiced as she waved her small hand and blew a kiss at the beautiful marble headstone under the sheltering willow tree.

Tears sprung from his eyes as he stared at his Angel, “why are you crying Daddy?” Lillian Grace asked wiping his tears, “you are so beautiful,” he replied breathing deeply, “just like your mother.”

Smiling wide her dark curls bounced on her small shoulders brushing against her face, “tell me about Mommy.”

Grazing at the clear blue sky he smiled knowing that his Lillian watched over them, “she was utterly and totally in love with … you,” he voiced as he tickled her tummy, she giggled musically while they walked he held her tight in his arms close to his heart, “she is an angel” …

The gentle breeze embraced them close whispering loving words as the family that felt loss pushed forward with no doubt and  hearts full of love.