The Adventure of the Mark

"Watson, hand me my tea." I hand Sherlock his cup and saucer and a daily paper. I got myself a cup and sit across from my colleague. "Watson did you see this?" "Hmm, what is it?"

  ​"'An insurance scandal leads to mass killings.' Oh quite so. This interests me so much. Hmm... Park lane down by... ohh! Watson lets go." He quickly got up and grabbed a coat and out the door before I even got up, my bad leg holding me back. Finally I got up and went out.

  ​Sherlock was up by the lamp by the time I had got out. "Sherlock, where are you going?" "The docks. Don't follow! I can tell your leg is bad. Stay home!" and around the corner he went.

​  He wasn't back by lunch nor dinner. He returned at midnight with a bundle of papers. He rushed into the room and woke me. "Watson, I have the answer. Look! Look!"

​  He thrust the pages into my sleepy eyes and I saw clear on each a symbol. I have reproduced the symbol here: Chinese symbol for FIRE. I looked to Sherlock. "What does that mean?"

​  "It means fire. And the five in hand all have it. Now the sixth page is a list of all the names and red names get the mark. All the marked names are now dead."

​  "But why them?"

  "Ah see each were part of this man's entourage, and when he fell, they never came to help him."

​  "So he takes their money, then when they get the page with the mark, they go to ask and are killed."

​  "Exactly so."

​  "Wow. So where is he?"

​  "We will have him tomorrow morning for breakfast."

​  The next morning Sherlock is up early, or never slept, and sitting across is a grisly man, buff, short stature, and full beard. "Watson, this is Mr. Smyth." The man stood and shook my hand, then sat again.

​  "So sir you know your charges?"

​  "Aye."

​  "To the police you go then."

​  In came Lestrade and took the man away. "Wow I missed something."

​"You always do Waston."