The Adventure of the Different Scenario

As I read through my notes, I could not believe I left this one out. Then again, upon reading the middle bit-- I could understand why. It could create conflict in public affairs, but this adventure should have been told. Nonetheless, I will tell it now.

  As I recall this was the fall of 1897, and the day was one of dismal gloom. There had been no soft knocks at our door for a good amount of time, and no letters asking for help. My friend, you could tell he was depressed because of the lack of work, but what came from his mouth surprised me far more.

  "Watson."

  "Hmm yes Sherlock?"

  "I'm lacking work, and it's starting to get to me."

  I looked up from my book and peered straight into his jaded eyes. "You've smoked all your tobacco haven't you?"

  His eyes stared a deadly gleam into mine but he then backed off. "No no. I am simply tired of people always coming to me. I know this sounds unusual but wish I could bring myself to, dare I say, go out about town?"

  I jumped up from my seat, so happy to hear such words. "Splendid! You've been stuck in this accursed room for god knows how long. Let us go get some sun." Suddenly, There was a large crashing and explosion like of a sound, "Whoa what was that?" People were now looking to see what had happened while others were running from the direction of the sound. Sherlock opened his window, looked out and smiled.

  "Never mind the sun Watson. We have fire right here." He grabed his coat and bolted down the stairs towards the door.

  I managed to run down the stairs myself, my leg feeling well enough to do so, when I found Sherlock on the floor holding his nose and Clarke just inside the open door. "Sorry sir, I didn't know you were right behind your door, sir."

  "It's all right Clarke, so has Lestrade come looking for me to solve what ever just happened?"

  "No sir, he was the cause of that. I have come to you to solve this one."

  Both Sherlock and I looked at the man, then to each other, then back to him. "Your telling us, that Inspector Lestrade is the whole cause of the explosion-- the reason people in the streets are running up chaos?" I said.

  "That would be right sir."

  "Holmes what does this mean?" I asked.

  "It means we have a case on our hands." My once again jubilant friend was on his feet and already pushing towards the door.

  Out of the street people were still running away from the fire scene. It was quite a sight actually. Debris flying from the wind, people in shock, and Sherlock, Clarke, and I all walking towards it. The fire Crew got to the scene and was already trying to put out the fire, and other officers were writing up reports of what had happened. Sherlock looked up into the fire and then down to the ground. He clearly was looking for something but nobody was paying any attention to him at that moment for another small explosion came inside the building.

  "Isn't there a bank next door?" Sherlock seemed to want to draw attention to that fact and every ones eyes were on him then on the building next to the building one. Then everyone was scrambling to make sure the building wasn't broken into. That left Sherlock and I to the building. It was very much a wreck now. Only the few walls were left but they were caving in slowly.

  "Sherlock, did you just do that to create a diversion to see if you can see with out all of them?"

  "No oh heavens no, I was actually concerned for the bank." Sherlock gave a smile, meaning he could care less. "Now I wish the fire was out so we could go look inside. I guess we do have time for your sunshine Watson." He walked away and I followed behind knowing we'd be back.