Chapter Six: The Stable

Chapter 6: The Stable

I slipped on my worn black nightdress and slipped put my window. I took off across the wet grass, my bare feet feeling the biting cold of the dew. It was midsummer, but it was always chilly. I slid open the barn door and was greeted by the whinnies of the mare.

I added more salve to her wounds and changed the bandages. She had finally stopped bleeding. The wounds were deep, but many of them were superficial. They had looked worse than they had been. This was why the horse had lived, instead of having been killed. I saw now that much of the injury was in a place I couldn't reach. It was a place that could trap the body, the mind. I realized it would take more than time to mend.

I snuck into the stall and stroked the rare, unscathed patches of fur. They were few and far between. She reached her soft warm noes and nuzzled me. I was the only one she let near her. The farrier had tried to re-shoe her once this week, but she had bucked and ended up kicking him. I shan't mention where, but needless to say he wasn't coming back. Not for a while anyway.

I stroked her long neck and she rubbed her forehead against me. We were a strange pair. She had been the horse he'd come back with when he ran his own into the river. She used to be a lot more spirited than she was now. But that's what he did. Nothing beautiful could ever be free of him. Until they were broken, that is, I thought sadly.

The mare lay down on her side. I sat against her back and tried not to think. I didn't want Tore to see her. She was mine to protect. I didn't trust him. I wouldn't trust him. I drifted off to sleep. She would be safe.

I woke early, glad I hadn't over slept, and crept back into the small house. Tierra was asleep, I was relieved. The last thing I wanted was a speech on decency. I changed quickly, and ate a small meal. I wasn't hungry, but I would be later if I didn't eat now. Tierra walked down the stairs, shocked to see me up. "What's wrong?" she said with a tone of urgency.

"Nothing, the Lord wanted me to get to the big house early." Not the reason. Something told me she knew I was lying, but she would let it go.

"Best be on with you then." she said in her accented voice.

"Already gone." I said as I left. Tierra wasn't all bad, just strict and sometimes unreasonable. I walked briskly to the Lords house. It was still chilly but the big house was almost always warm.

As soon as I stepped through the door a warm draft hit me head on. I kept my dark cloak on. I would be outside again soon anyway. I walked into the main hall, where all the meals were taken to find the abrasive form of Gorath. He had a smug smile which snaked across his crooked features. I knew I hadn't the right to, but I hated him. I looked around, trying desperately not to meet his gaze. I looked passed him, trying not to draw attention but it was too late. I tried to duck out, seeing that Tore was nowhere to be seen, when I heard a voice.

"Did you hear the dogs last night?" he said in an irate tone, but it held the familiar undertone of danger.

"No sir, I didn't." I said itching to take my leave.

"Well you must be deaf, they were barking all night. Damn things, make sure they're quiet. Can't sleep with the noise."

"I'll do what I can." I said politely.

In a hurry, I turned to leave and ran straight into him. Tore. I had been in such a hurry to leave I didn't see him. My face burned red. I picked up what was left of my dignity, there wasn't much left, and excused myself. I walked out to the hallway, hoping my face wasn't as red as I knew it would be. I turned to go back to see the damage. Gorath was genuinely unforgiving.

Tore stepped out of the doorway. "I'm sorry for running into you, I was caught off guard you see." he sounded earnest. I was rather caught off guard. I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't this.

"Shall we?" he asked, still red from the incident.

I nodded, "Ok." I said finally.

We took the short way. We reached the wooden stables and I paused in front of the first stall. Usually we kept them out to graze, but with the wolves one could never be careful enough.  These ones named Aslo, after the Goddess.

"Strange name." he commented. I looked at him.

"Don't you know the gods?" The thought astounded me. Did this boy know nothing of them? Where was he from? Hadn't his nursemaids told him of the god’s wrath? It was after all demonstrated every year.

"Gods?” He said looking at me as if I were the absurd one.

"Yes, the gods. You must know them, the twelve gods of the realm?"

"Nope." he said completely unconcerned.

"Didn't you learn of the years of Ill Will?" Surely he had at least heard of them.

"Nope." he said once again unconcerned.

I was at a loss for words. "I should show you the horses." I  tried hard to keep my voice firm, and without disbelief. I took him to the first set of stalls. I showed this strange boy the stallion, Eddie. The mare Grace, and Hope who was only a filly. But I kept Faith a secret. She was the injured mare. She was mine to protect. The Lord had half a dozen other young horses who came and went, I showed them too.

Tore was silent the entire tour. It scared me. I didn't know if I'd done something wrong, or if I'd said too much or little. The punishment of displeasure can be most severe. Finally he spoke. Though it brought no relief. "And who takes care of them?" his voice was frighteningly quiet. It eerily replicated Lord Goraths own voice when he became beyond irritable or even angry. There was an icy calm in his voice that seemed to vanish in his eyes.

"I do," I said quietly thinking, this is it. The moment I've been waiting for, the true colors. "sir." I added hoping not to offend him. I cowered in the silence, waiting for his reply.

"You do well," He said calmly.