Chapter 6

A couple weeks had past since my first ride with Donovan. Slowly I was starting to adjust to this new life they wanted us to live. I trained for hours with Donovan everyday, trying to get the mind link down. He showed me a new memory each day. However as the days went on I could feel his hope fading as I still did not remember anything from before.

"It will come" he sighed as he stood up. He walked away without looking back, his shoulders slightly slumped.

"I hope so, for your sake" I whispered.

I slowly walked over the the field, preparing myself for swords training with Michael and Andrew. Everyday we practiced something else with Michael. He was pleased with how much I seemed to "remember" from fighting.

"I think this is the only thing your mind may have retained. You fight the same way you always have." Michael said with a smile.

"It just comes naturally." I said as I blocked Andrew's attack.

"That save us a lot of time." Michael sighed. The worry lines on his face have slowly been disappearing the more he saw me fighting. "At least I know we don't have to keep an eye on you. Not that Donovan will give anyone a chance to touch you if he had the choice."

"What do you mean?" I asked after pinning Andrew to the ground. He laughed and pushed me off.

"He is extremely protective over you. He is just afraid of showing you how he feels right now..."Michael trailed off.

"Well, he doesn't have anything to worry about. It will be fine." I laughed. He shook his head and released us from training.

I walked down to the river, ready to take a midday swim to ease my muscles. We would be leaving the farm tomorrow to meet up with the next rider. We had received word that he had found his dragon and was looking for us. Michael was worried that someone might get to him before we had the chance to.

I laid back in the water, just floating. I opened my mind to the area around me. Everything seemed normal at first. But after a few moments a darkness began to creep into me. Slowly I became unreasonably angry. I stood in the river and looked around for someone.

"Shit" Donovan whispered in my head, before the connection was closed.

The anger in me built with every step I took back to the farm.

Why couldn't they just let us leave? Why did I have to stay in this town? It is on;y a matter of time before my father catches me. I thought as I walked quicker to the barn.

You are way too gullible, believing these people. You should be looking out for yourself.

"Kaida!" Donovan called, running towards me. "Stop!"

I stormed to the door, ignoring his calls. I could hear him getting closer, but it seemed insignificant at this moment.

"She is getting there, it's going to take time. Donovan needs to stop holding back. She can handle it. She has in every life." Andrew was talking to Michael and Mary as I hit the top of the stairs.

"You did this to us.....You ruined our lives!" I screamed at Michael as I continued to walk towards him. "I had a plan. I was so close to being away from this land, from my father!"

"Kaida...." he whispered.

"NO!" I screamed. "You don't understand." My fingertips started to burn by my side as I clenched my hands into fists.

"Donovan...Get her." Mary yelled.

Before I could lunge at Michael, two strong hands grabbed me by the waist and pulled me back.

"Stop it. This isn't you." Donovan whispered in my ear.

"Let me go" I screamed as tears fell down my cheeks.

"Please love, please" he begged as his grip tightened around me.

"Donovan..." I sobbed as the anger slowly began to leave me. Without hesitating, Donovan put me back on the ground and pulled me into his arms.

"What just happened?" Michael asked worriedly.

"Shhh, it's okay. I have you." Donovan murmured in my ear, softly playing with my hair.

"You didn't!" Mary growled.

"I had to try something." He growled and pulled me against him tighter.

"No you didn't! She can't handle this on top of everything else right now. She doesn't have the ability to save you and everyone else!" She yelled at him, and pulled me away from him.

"Mary! This is not your concern. You don't understand how this is..." He said angrily, fire springing to his hands. "Give her back to me"

"Do it Mary...You know not to take her from him..."Andrew pleaded.

"It's not safe for her!" Mary growled and pulled me farther back.

As I listened to them, the anger slowly began to build back up. Darkness fringed the corners of my vision. I took a deep breath trying to calm myself, but it was no use. Each breath I took was fanning the fire inside my chest, just begging to break out.

"STOP!" I screamed, and a burst of flames filled the room. Before I could see past them, I slowly fell backwards. The world going black yet again.