Chapter 4

My instant first thought was "HE SPEAKS." Followed by "Oh my Glob. His voice. IS FLAWLESS."

I think maybe I was staring at him for a bit longer than necessary, because Stripes--I mean, Louis cleared his throat.

"And what would your name be, m'lady?"

What the hell? What was I supposed to say to that?! My name?! No. That's so boring. Wait, no, that's what you're supposed to say when people ask for your name. Why couldn't I speak like a normal person? I'm usually never awkward around boys. Maybe I was still stunned by...well, by him.

I opened my mouth to say something, but quickly snapped it shut, for fear of saying something that would make me sound like I should be wearing a straight jacket. I just stood there, extremely awkward, fumbling with my hands, while the gorgeous boy patiently waited for an answer.

After a few uncomfortable moments of silence, he turned to Harry, who was still trying to rub the pain away form his wrists and was kneeling on the ground.

"Does she speak?" Louis asked, his eyebrows furrowing. "Oh my god, she's deaf isn't she?! Or mute?!?!" He sounded panicked and shot me an apologetic look.

"No Lou-" Harry started, but then, I suddenly found my voice and spoke for myself.

"No, I'm just- just . . . Awkward." I sighed, feeling defeated.

My shoes suddenly became very interesting. I was a little mad at myself for being so weird around him. Boys never had this effect on me. Like ever. Not to brag, but usually I was a pretty good flirt and got boys to do things for me with a few bats of my eyelashes and a "Pretty please?" And did I mention how awkward I was being?

I peeked up through my lashes to see Louis, sticking out his hand towards me. He had a puzzled look on his face.

"Humph, that's an odd one--never heard it before. But nice to meet you, Awkward. " he smiled genuinely, taking my hand, forcing me to shake it.

I face palmed. Not mentally either. When I took my hand down from my forehead, Louis looked a bit shocked at my sudden actions. Harry was trying--but not at all successfully--to suppress a laugh. Niall and Bailey were both on the ground, faces red as tomaters, mouths open in huge smiles, no sound coming out, they were clapping like retarded seals.

When my focus went back to Louis, he looked honestly confused. He reminded me of a child who didn't understand what he had done wrong after being put in time-out. I just wanted to hug him, he was so adorable.

"What?" He pouted slightly.

"Awww, can--can I hug you?" I know we had just met, but it seemed appropriate at the time. He looked like he needed a hug.

He was bewildered by my odd question, but slowly nodded and held his arms out to me. I complied quickly and wrapped my arms around his torso. I noticed his arms were decorated with a few tattoos. They suited him, though. His arms looked so tan compared to mine. And damn he was toned. At the same time he was super warm and cuddly. I swear, he was just like a big teddy bear, but way better 'cause he hugs back...I don't hug teddy bears by myself, in my room when Bailey is away on vacation and I feel lonely... Wait wuuuut? I pulled back to look at his face, he was pouting more, now.

"All you've done now is make me more confused." He stated.

Bless his little heart. Did he honestly believe...? How could a person be so dumb? Or clueless? Maybe it was because my "accent" doesn't make the word 'awkward' sound the same way as he says it? I don't even know. I smiled warmly, as I tried to think of a way to let him down easy.

"Louis, my dear child, my name isn't 'Awkward'."

He gasped. "You LIED to me?!?! We are friends NO MORES!" He huffed, crossing his arms over his chest and stomping like a toddler.

"No! I didn't lie; I'm an awkward person, yes, but my actual NAME is Emmaline Erickson."

He turned around, his face lit up and he flashed me a brilliant smile.

"What?" I giggled.

"Emmaline." He repeated. "Emma. Em. Emmie. Emmilou." He tossed around some nicknames that Bailey used. I didn't mind. I thought they were very cute and endearing. "Which one?" He angled his head to the side, peering at me curiously.

"All of the above! OBVI." I jumped up and down, clapping, over enthusiastically. He grinned wide.

"You." He pointed at me and I pretended to look innocent.

"Who? Me?" I pointed to myself and glanced around behind me.

"Yes, you. You are cute. You are sassy. I like you. " he stated very simply, hugging me from the side, like a sloth. "We are now best friends. I just now decided."

I shrugged my shoulders. Who was I to complain?

"Who's best friends?" Two more boys walked into the room with a bag of chips. They were instantly tackled to the ground, when a wild Niall appeared. Once he retrieved the chips, he sat criss-cross-apple-sauce on the ground and shoved a handful in his mouth. He then remembered his manners and offered Bailey some, which she gladly accepted. She shoved twice as much into her mouth as Niall did. She smiled sweetly and continued gorging herself while Niall sat, watching, with his mouth agape.

"WE ARE." Louis picked me up like a sack of flower, took literally three steps, and set me down in front of the boy with jet black hair and hazel eyes. He was hot. Like badass hot. That wasn't really my thing, but he still looked like a model for- i don't know -just any type of bad ass-ery. Why are they all so freaking attractive?!

He pointed to the boy. "YOU ARE ZAYN." He pointed to the other boy with short, brown hair and brown eyes. "YOU ARE LIAM." Louis turned to Bailey. "I DONT KNOW YOU." He spun around and pointed to me, his finger a few centimeters from my nose. "YOU. ARE. EMMA." I nodded and gave him a salute.

"We are all hanging out now. WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A FUN TIME." He announced marching off into another room on a steady beat.

We all looked at each other fore a short moment, before shrugging and marching off in a line behind him.