Chapter VI. STATE OF GRACE

• Dedicated to American Girl

THE FIRST TWO MONTHS of school wasn't a bore but there's nothing much about it than work, work, work. It was a very busy beginning! The only thing I couldn't forget was that Gav never talked to me. Well... we talked, yes, like 'hi-hello' or 'good morning' or 'goodbye'. Isn't it awkward for classmates to be that casual and formal? I can't really remember that I had a heart to heart conversation with him. Of course I don't want to discuss things with him like my secret crush (that doesn't seem to be a secret anymore). That'd embarass me to death! If you don't get my point, then let's just get over with it. It's not a good memory.

The good things that happened during the early months of class were all involved with the TechYes Club. We have been having trainings every night after class so we get to bond with all the other members, including the four new members of the club, the freshmen. Our training was for the first competition of the club in the school year and it was a great pressure because it was the 2nd time of the event to take place and the TechYes club with its four original members won as champions in the first event last school year. To make things clear, I was chosen to compete with the two teams. Each team has three members; that makes us six participants. At first I tried to refuse but no other members were available to compete. They only needed one more to get things done. It was hard to decided whether I should agree to join or not. Why me? Others could join if they wanted to. But that was the point. Nobody dared to join because of fear. God, somehow, was telling me to joing. I was taught to program our team's robot. Sir G thoroughly trained us for winning. Only something came along the process.

Sir G decided to bring the teams to the city so that we could see how the other schools have been preparing for the competition. He must have been that brave because the schools we were competing are big schools. These schools are known province wide and yet we were about to compete with them! About this something that came up, we arrived at the school venue just in time for the 'practice' but the truth was, we were going to spy. When we came to the area, Sir G talked with the officials and found out that there was a surprise challenge for the robots. The surprise challenge really surprised us because our robots weren't assembled and programmed to accomplish the said challenge. We were expecting that something different would be given as a challenge but we were surprised to know that we were mistaken. We hurried home to plan another strategies and work out the challenge before we run out of time and get defeated. We trained, trained, and even skipped classes to train. It was such a dedication. The night before the competition we had a meeting. We agreed to meet 5 in the morning since that we had to travel hours to get to the place of the game. I set my cellphone alarm and went to sleep.

~

"Ina! Ina! Some people are looking for you! Ina? Ina!"

I heard a voice calling me. I tried to open my eyes. My head got dizzy. I wanted to get more sleep but the voice kept calling and calling that I had to get up to see who it was. When I peeked through our room's window I saw the face of our boarding house's landlady. 

"Auntie? What is it?" I asked out of surprise.

"There are people looking for you. They must be your schoolmates since they wear the logo of your school."

There at the gate, I saw Sir G standing outside the van with the other TechYes members. I ran to my cellphone and checked the time which displayed '5:30 am.' My eyes opened wide. I immidiately told our landlady to tell those who are waiting for me that I will catch up with them. Auntie did so and the TechYes left. I texted one of my seniors, apologizing for waking up late. I rushed with everything I did; my twin was even the one who ironed my clothes. After 15 minutes I left and rode the bus to the city. By the time I reach the city the competition will start, I thought. I was very nervous and guilty because of the trouble I caused. While sitting on the bus that was about to leave, I prayed and prayed that I almost cried. It was the big day and there I was, late, and already a failure!