Normalcy In The Apocalypse?

Eventually members of the group drifted off into their designated sleeping areas, leaving only a few by the dimming fire. You all knew you had to rest soon, because it was going to be a long day tomorrow setting up, but the eerie events that took place just hours before still haunted your minds. How could the world be over? You always thought the world would end slowly, not like this. 

Biting your thumb nail softly, you stared out into the fire listening as Shane talked. It was just you two sitting by the fire, and Daryl, who had wondered out of his tent when everyone else went to bed, was now leaning against a tree in the dark background. Normally, you wouldn't enjoy sitting beside someone like Shane, but it didn't bother you much because you could feel Daryl's eyes on your back. Georgia's heat radiated off of the dry soil below your feet, but you didn't seem to mind it much. You were far too tired to care, but too scared to sleep. You didn't know anyone in this group, and because of this you felt the need to keep your walls up. The world was ending and you were trapped with a group of strangers. Great. 

"Y/N," Muttered Shane as he waved a calloused hand in front of your face. Your eyes snapped up to his face, a small red tint on your cheeks from being caught not paying attention. "You should head to sleep. I'm going to keep watch all night, so you can sleep in my tent." He gave you this look, and you weren't quite sure how to take it. Daryl must have overheard because he cleared his throat and began to walk towards the tree line near camp. Even though it was dark, you could see him nibbling his thumb. 

You weren't exactly comfortable with sleeping in Shane's tent, but you took his word that he would be out all night anyway. After agreeing, you began to walk away, feeling Shane stare at you. You shook it off, thankful when you walked into the limits of the firelight and was now engulfed in darkness. You ducked into the tent you assumed was his. Though, it was pretty far from the other tents, which you thought was strange. Sitting, you gave yourself a minute to think without interruptions. That is when it all began to sink in. You could feel the tears sting in your eyes, but you refused to let them fall. Your hands clinched around the blankets messily laid out on the ground. Your face scrunched into a frown, your eyes closed as tightly as they could. You bit your bottom lip hard and could feel the blood dripping down your chin from it, though you kept a tight grip on it with your teeth, afraid if you were to let it go your whimpering would wake the others. 

Just as a tear slipped through, you heard the noise of a zipper, indicating the tent door was opened. Quickly you wiped off your cheek and turned your body. As you were about to say Shane's name, you realized it wasn't him. A wide eyed Daryl Dixon stood, peering out to you.