Chapter 5: Troubles brewing.

It took the Princess what seemed like hours to finally get to sleep, she was so nervous about making a sound and waking up the whole camp that she couldn't relax enough to fall asleep.

Before she knew it, it was morning but she didn't wake up on her own accord; she was awoken by something nudging her and sniffing. After a split second she remembered where she was and found Apache trying to figure out what or who she was.

Her face was a sight on discovering what her alarm call was, all the colour drained from her face and she quickly scanned the tent to see if Onyx had also noticed her hiding amongst the soft furnishings. To her surprise he was no where is sight, his armour was still hanging up but his sword was gone. This slightly relaxed Princess Harlequin knowing that she hadn't been found out although she suddenly became aware how lucky she was this time... next time she might not be so lucky.

Its time to collect her bag and go and find Topaz and Flint.

Realising how close she had just been to getting caught out of the castle grounds, she decided she didn't want a confrontation with Onyx or any of his men for that matter. She hadn't slept so well and felt tired besides its not within the Princesses nature to argue and fight. The easiest thing to do would be to follow the troops for another day and just keep out of sight.

Apache was standing directly in front of Princess Harlequin, his hackles were slowly beginning to rise. "Oh, this can't be good", she thought. Knowing that she still wasn't out of trouble, she had to think fast. Not too sure what to do she stood still for a few moments just staring into the deep glowing eyes of the wolf. Holding her fear within her chest, she was refusing to let it to show. She took in the sight before her, this wolf is huge, he towers over Princess Harlequin, who is kneeling down just a few feet from him. Slowly leaning to pick up her bag, the wolf started to snarl and bear its teeth.

Thinking perhaps not looking straight at Apache would be a better tactic, she lowered her gaze.

With her bag tightly grasped in her right hand and standing up straight, she took a deep breath, pulled herself together and quietly walked round Apache towards the doorway making sure not to make eye contact or show any fear that was bubbling deep inside.

The moment she moved round the wolf, he let out a loud, growl followed by several threatening barks. The Princess instantly froze, her legs felt like lead and would not allow her to move. She stood just a few steps away from the door, from the safety of Topaz (who she knew wouldn't be far) but couldn't take her eyes off the massive, and intimidating, creature who was creeping towards her, with his sharp teeth visible under the snarling muzzle.

The Princesses natural reaction was to back away slowly, that way if the wolf got too close or pounced at her she would have the chance to react.

Keeping her bag in her hand, just in case she needed to use it to defend herself, she crept backwards whilst trying to calm the wolf by saying "shhh, it's ok, good boy, you're being such a good boy".