Chapter Six: A Trail Of Bodies

"I don't know how it happened Zoe, I wasn't myself," Rose sobbed as I wrapped my arms around her. "One by one, that's how I picked them off." 

An hour ago...

I had seen Rose a few times after the transition took place, luckily to both our benefits, she had survived it so far. Although she had become a monster over night, I was more than happy she was well and alive. How would you react if your best friend's life depended on whether her body was compatible or not to become a vampire? Not very well I presume. Nick had been pretty closed off since last night, ever since that nightmare that manage to creep back into my mind after several years.

"Zoe," Rose said, pulling on the hem of my shirt. There was a look on her face that made me question her. Every moment I stole a glance at her, my heart melted a little. It pained me to see someone in love like this. Her life had changed forever.

"Yeah?" I asked, still chewing the bit of food in my mouth. 

"I'm hungry." I instantly felt guilty and slowly lowered the pizza from my mouth. I lifted it up in the air and motioned my head towards it. She could have it if she wanted to. The last thing I wanted was Rose to starve.

"Have it, I'm not that hungry anyway," that was a lie that came tumbling out of my mouth. I was more than hungry, I was starving. Although being kidnapped by vampires is cool and all, the lack of food around here was terrible. They lived on human blood, we lived on food,  that didn't seem to matter to them. Josh had occasionally taken out the time to make me a sandwich, but eventually the bread was going to go off, leaving me to starve in a school that I hate.

She shook her head. I furrowed my brows, I thought she was hungry? I noticed her eyes water a little, then I saw her gulp and look away from me. What's her problem? Rose was acting awfully strange today...

"Then what do you want to eat?" I questioned, ready to get up and go to the kitchen. There were a few chocolate bars left and I'm pretty sure there was some cake too...

Then realisation dawned on me.

I slapped my hand over my mouth.

You're so stupid sometimes, Zoe!

I shook my head. She wants blood! Where do I find that? I could always go ask Nick or Josh... but I haven't seen them for a while, and I had to admit that it annoyed me to be away from them for so long. OK, Nick and I have had a bumpy start considering he lied to me then told me that he wanted to eat me, but Josh, he's pretty much my new best friend. My thoughts broke when I heard Rose cough. 

I kept getting distracted. Rose is the priority. No more thoughts about Nick. There I go again, Nick, Nick, Nick. I need to concentrate on what's important. Rose.

"Do you want me to go? I feel like I'm tempting you and you're looking at me like I'm a piece of meat." That was a stupid thing to say. She widened her eyes and gave me a sceptical look. Before she could speak, I quickly apologised "I'm sorry! I wasn't thinking, like usual, but do you really want me to go?"

Of course you shouldn't go; your best friend needs you!

"You should go, better safe than sorry."

I wish I could do more for her, to ease the pain. I slowly nodded and lifted myself off the floor feeling completely and utterly helpless and useless.

 "I'll find something good for us to do," I said, she nodded in reply.

***

"Hi," I waved at the guard standing in front of the door that lead to the gym; where most of the boys were being held. He raised his brows and scanned his eyes over me.