Chapter 7

Note: CHAPTER NOT EDITED.

The warrior looked down at the image reflected on the clear water sitting in the crystal bowl. It wasn't his sharp features and tattoos that were being reflected back at him. No, it was a tangle of dark curls and willowy limbs sprawled on a bed of twigs and dried, damp leaves. He looked at the young girl's youthful face contorted in horror as a libuous perched itself above her ready to strike.

He knew that face, he saw it this morning in her classroom and in the girls' bathroom. Scrawny little thing she was, and very loud; she almost damaged his sensitive hearing with her scream of terror not mere twelve hours ago. He admit it was partly his fault his ears were still ringing, after all he scared the little migit by speaking. He can see now how it might have looked that a seemingly harmless creature such as a cat could speak. But werewolves were fearless beings, she should have been able keep from screeching at him. Weak hearted little creature, that she-wolf. It was unfortunate she was his assignment; an assignment he now refused to carry out.

He had to admit, he had been curious about a new assignment that didn't consist of his usual demon slaying and justice enforcement. After a thousand years of doing the same thing, he was desperate to try something new. However, that was all before he went to check out the details of his supposed 'special assignment' and found out that not only was his assignment far from special - with an average face, a thin weak body and a head of thick, unremarkable dark hair - he was also being put on babysitting duties.

He clenched his fists. Heaven would overheat and hell would freeze over before I was reduced to that!

He turned with the grace of a coiled snake toward the angel sitting on the leather sofa at the window - irritation rolling off him in waves. He had made it clear to his boss that he didn't want this job... that he should assign some other warrior to babysit the little she-wolf. He thought his message had gotten through.

He stood facing the older angel for a minute with a mixture of silent bemusement and irritation in his wide stance.

"Explain to me again why I'm watching this?" He voiced the question that had been floating around in his mind for the last minute.

The Warrior's superior looked at him and shook his head as if dealing with an errant child.

"Because you were assigned to watch this girl and to keep her out of harm's way. Yet there she is about to be ripped to shreds, and here you are neglecting your responsibilities."

The warrior wanted to throttle the angel that sat a few feet away from him but forced himself to remain calm.

Hadn't he dedicated a thousand years of his life to serving their father? Why was he not allowed to pass on an assignment that even a newly-turned warrior could do with his eyes closed and his wings clipped. There were countless other warriors who would be more than willing to babysit the girl...other warriors weaker and far less experienced in the art to demon-hunting, hence, well suited for this assignment.

What was so special about this scrawny little wolf anyway? He had sieve through her mind during their brief encounter in the school's bathroom to know that she couldn't shift; rendering her practically useless to her pack; giving a clear idea of how 'special' she was.

It was never good to argue with his superiors but when his superior was his brother, it was a given; especially when he was practically being insulted by this assignment. What would his fellow warrior brothers think when they hear that their leader was to become a babysitter?