Chapter 28: Captured

This time, Beckett forced Leslie to stay behind.

"He wants to kill you," she'd told her niece back at the precinct. "He's been planning your murder for who knows how long. He's been watching you. So you are staying right here, Leslie Anne Beckett, and I won't hear a word otherwise."

She'd left Leslie pale but glaring with an even frostier-looking Castle and joined the team going to apprehend Schumacher.

Breathing evenly despite her racing heart and sweaty palms, Beckett stood outside room 25 of The Black Goose motel, the team at her back.

"NYPD!" Esposito's voice blared through the night. "Open up!"

No answer. Beckett readied herself to kick the door down. But then the doorknob rattled, turned, and the door swung open with a screech that set everyone's teeth on edge.

A gangly, tanned man with broad, sloping shoulders and sharp eyebrows stood in the doorway. His nose was crooked and black-blue, as was the skin around his eyes. He smiled pleasantly, as if he didn't have twenty guns aimed at him, and put his hands behind his head.

"Gentleman. Lady," he said politely, nodding to Beckett, whose finger itched to pull the trigger of her gun. "I've been expecting you."