Chapter 18: Breakdown

Jim Beckett turned up at Beckett's apartment at eight PM that same night. The only thing that surprised Beckett more than Jim's sudden appearance was that he was flanked by two plain-clothes police officers who had their guns pointed at him. After they'd found the dead man in the hotel room, a protective detail had been put on Leslie, including Ryan and Esposito, who were outside.

"Detective Beckett, this man claims to be your father," one of the officers informed her.

"Hi Katie," Jim said in a resigned way.

"Uh, yeah, he is who he says he is, you can go, guys. Thanks anyway," Beckett said. The officers nodded, holstering their guns, and left while Beckett stood aside to allow Jim into the apartment.

"Dad, I didn't expect you to come visit so soon," Beckett exclaimed, closing the door behind him.

"Well, on the phone you sounded like you needed someone."

For a moment father and daughter stood opposite, staring at each other tearfully. Then Beckett collapsed into her father's arms and burst into tears, crying unashamedly into his shoulder while he held her tightly.

They stood there for a long time, tears sliding down both of their faces, until Beckett finally took a deep breath and drew away.

"Where's Leslie?" Jim asked.

"In bed. Asleep," Beckett answered, crossing to the kitchen and pulling a tissue out of the tissue box. She dried her eyes and blew her nose, and after a moment, she picked up the tissue box and carried it over to the lounge. She sat with a sigh, and Jim sat next to her.

"She had a pretty rough day today," Beckett added solemnly.

"How's she holding up?"

"...Not well," Beckett admitted after a moment. "She feels responsible for everything."

Jim took Beckett's hand.

"Tell me everything."

*

Leslie peeked out of her room, glancing at the luminous dial of her compass-watch, reading 10:52PM.

Beckett was sitting on the lounge next to a tall man with greying hair -

"Grandpa?"

They both turned at Leslie's small, sleep-heavy voice. Jim smiled at her.

"Hey Les. Come here." He held out his arms, and Leslie limped painfully over, falling into his hug.

"How's the knee?" he asked, eyeing the plastic-and-neoprene brace on her leg. She winced a little, sitting down in the space between her aunt and her grandfather.

"Not as bad as yesterday, but running didn't help," she replied, rubbing sleep from her eyes, although by now she was wide awake.

"Katie tells me you're not okay," he said bluntly. Leslie stared up at him with wide eyes, bloodshot from crying. He took her hand, doing as he'd done with Beckett. "Tell me everything."

*

Jim Beckett left around midnight for his hotel, leaving Leslie asleep on the lounge and Beckett no longer feeling alone. She cleared up the piles of used tissues, put the used mugs in the dishwasher and checked the door was locked. Then she picked up Leslie - who stirred but didn't wake - and carried her back to her bed.