Chapter Five

Kim remembered the first time she'd ever kissed Connor clear as day. The memory had been at the forefront of her mind for days now, and it was difficult to shake the feelings that came with that particular night off. It was before they even started dating, when Savannah dragged her to one of Asher's house parties. She'd been reluctant to go at first, and it had taken a lot of persuasion from her friend to get her dressed.

She sunk into the fresh wave of memories, letting herself fall.

Months Ago

"I can't believe you forced me into this." Kim braced her foot on the dashboard as she slipped into her black sandals. There was no way she'd go out in heels. "You know I hate parties."

"You don't hate them," Savannah said, adjusting the rearview mirror. Once it was set the way she liked it, she grinned and turned her head to Kim. "You just don't go to them."

"They aren't fun," Kim went on. "They're full of drunk kids and stupid mistakes." She finished buckling both shoes and laid them on the car floor. As her gaze dropped, she noticed the outfit Savannah had forced her into for the evening's occasion—white jeans and a tight fitting black crop top. Her blonde hair was even straightened which she hardly ever bothered doing. It was too much work in her opinion, especially since by the next morning, it would be an unruly mess yet again.

Even so, she couldn't deny the swell of pride that came with looking presentable—if a crop top was considered presentable. She was a constant mess of blonde curls and raggedy old clothes that she was surprised she could pull off the whole neat look.

"Don't be like that." Savannah took one hand off the steering wheel to punch her shoulder, and the car slid to the right slightly. Savannah wasn't the best driver, and Kim made sure to grab onto the armrests as they took a sharp turn. "You should be excited. Connor's going to be there."

"Is he really?" She picked at the gold chain around her wrist in an attempt to appear nonchalant. Inside her, her heart was hammering in her chest. "You didn't tell me that."

"I was trying to make it a surprise. But you look so upset now, and you're making me feel bad."

Kim felt a smile tug at her lips. "Sorry," she said. "I'll be on my best behavior."

She could already hear the blasting music, and they hadn't even turned onto Asher's street yet. Thankfully for them, Asher's parties rarely got busted—or so she heard. She didn't bother to make a habit of attending them.

"You better," Savannah said. Even if she had no idea which house was Asher's, the bright lights and teenagers lurking on the front lawn gave it away. The music seemed to find its way inside her, shaking her to the core. How was she going to survive the whole night? "I don't like dealing with a cranky Kim."

The car rolled into park a few houses down from the actual party. Savannah grabbed the keys from the ignition before clambering out of the car. By then, Kim was already waiting for her on the sidewalk.

"Someone's eager," Savannah teased, slipping an arm around her clutch.

"Eager to get this over with." She hooked her arm through Savannah's and let her friend lead her up the walkway to Asher's.

Somehow, she knew that whatever happened tonight would leave an impression on her.

***

A few hours later, and Kim was left with a tipsy Savannah. She'd watched her friend down way too many drinks, and somehow, she was still standing. Barely. She had to keep a hand rested on the wall to keep from slipping.