Chapter Twenty-One

~Laura's POV~

"What about that one?" I pointed out a large Christmas tree to Vanessa.

She shook her head, "It's too big. We wouldn't be able to get it through the door."

It had just been thanksgiving, and it was time to put up all the Christmas decorations. It was mine and Vanessa's favourite time of year. We were currently out searching for a Christmas tree with Maia.

"Here, this one is perfect." Vanessa said, going over to a Christmas tree that wasn't too small and wasn't too big. Maia and I nodded in agreement. "Let's go-"

Vanessa was cut off by her phone ringing. She pulled it out of her pocket and looked at the caller ID confused.

"Who is that?" I asked.

"I'm not sure. You guys go get the Christmas tree while I answer this." She said, before walking away and answering the phone.

~Vanessa's POV~

"Hello?" I answered my cell.

"Hello, is this Miss Vanessa Marano?" A female voice asked.

"Uh, yes."

"Hi, I'm Maria Hayes. I'm a nurse at Los Angles Hospital. I regret to inform you Miss Marano, that your parents are in the hospital. They were in a severe house fire." She said.

"My parents?" I asked confused. "My parents died years ago in a car crash."

Maria coughed awkwardly. "You are Vanessa Marano, right?"

"Well yes, but I-"

"You should probably come to the hospital." Maria cut me off.

"Of course, of course. I'll be there as soon as I can." I replied before hanging up.

Laura and Maia walked up to me. "So, we got the tree..." Laura trailed off. "Ness, what's wrong?"

"Um, I don't... I don't know. We have to go to the hospital." I told her. I didn't really know what to tell her. I was so confused.

"What? Is someone hurt?" Maia asked.

I nodded.

"Let's just go," Laura said, noticing I didn't want to say anything more.

We rushed to the hospital, and I went over to the lady at reception. "Hi, I'm looking for Maria Hayes. Is she here?"

"That's me. Hi, you must be Vanessa Marano." A short, older woman with dark hair spoke.

"Hi, yes. I'm Vanessa. And this is my sister Laura, and our friend Maia." I told her.

"Would you like to see your parents?" She asked.

Laura looked confused. "Our parents? What?"

"See, our parents died a few years back in a car crash. There must be some sort of mistake." I replied.

Maria looked confused but nodded anyway. She pulled out a file, "I have your birth certificate which says your parents are called Cheryl and George. Is that correct?"

"No. Our parents are Ellen and Damiano." Laura said.

Maria pulled out more papers. "Oh, I see. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but Cheryl and George are your biological parents. Ellen and Damiano adopted you in 1996."

"What?" I whispered. "But they- but we- oh my god."

"We were adopted?" Laura asked quietly.

"How are Cheryl and George?" Maia asked.