~Chapter 31~

Alexia

Thomas has been knocking on my door for ages now but I placed a seat against it so it wouldn't open. "Alexia, please. I won't fight Nicholas anymore. Just talk to me. Please." He sounds so desperate and upset, but he won't fight Nicholas. "How do I know for sure?" I answer. I hear him pound on the door in frustration. "Because there is no point fighting now. I know how you feel about me now so I don't want to fight." I sigh and pull the chair away, swinging the door open as I do so.

"You really won't fight?" I ask, not meeting his eyes. "Of course. Well not now anyway." He wraps his arms around me.

"Alexia please don't be mad at me. I just hated the thought of him being with you, I didn't want your friendship to blossom into something more. Not now, after all the progress I've made."

"That's a bit selfish isn't it Thomas?" A small smile somehow manages to spread across my face. "It may be, but I know you're smiling." He pulls back and stares at me with a smile. "I told you." He replies.

I roll my eyes and push him a little. "Now go tell Nicholas that you don't want to fight." He leans in a little. "Can I have a kiss first?" I shake my head with a slight laugh. "Maybe later, just tell Nicholas about the fight." He pouts but goes to Nicholas' room. I follow him but wait outside the door.

"What do you want?" My eyebrows knit when I hear Nicholas. He sounds so aggressive and cold, something I have never heard him sound like. "I just wanted to tell you that I don't want to fight anymore." I smile at Thomas and forget about the cold side Nicholas is giving him. I hear a few steps.

"Are you afraid you will lose?" Nicholas mocks. "No, I am confident I can win. Alexia just doesn't want us to fight each other." I hope Nicholas understands.

"You really think she will like you better just because you listen to her? I am her true friend, not you. All you did was upset her with your existence. What makes you think she could possibly like you the way you like her?" I bite my lip to stop myself from telling him the truth.

"People can change Nicholas. She has changed and so have I. Just accept the fact that you are scared. You are afraid that because I have changed, I have gotten closer, you are afraid because you can see that I am making progress with her, you are afraid because you know that I have a better chance than you, even after everything I've done."

Silence follows. Thomas is right. He is closer to me now. I have somewhat forgiven him even after what has happened between us.

"How do you know that? How do you expect me to believe she likes you better than me?" Thomas sighs. "Because she told me." Thomas replies, I can picture the smug smile on his face because he knows he is right. "Prove it."

"Fine. Alexia, would you please show yourself?" I ponder for a second but realise it's for the best. I just hope they will stop fighting. I walk up next to Thomas. Nicholas' jaw hangs open. "You heard all that?" I nod. "Can you please tell him the truth Alexia? He doesn't believe me. " I look over at Thomas then back again. "I don't like this side of you Nicholas. If this is the real you then I will never like you better than Thomas." He frowns. "What if this isn't the real me?" I sigh. "As much as I hate to say it, it seems like it is." I step back away from him and hold Thomas' hand. "And I could never like someone like this." I pull Thomas and run down the stairs and outside.

When I finally stop and sit he looks over at me. "Why did we run?" He asks. "His sword was within reach and he looked really angry. He was going to attack us, with or without the sword. " He nods.

"So, will you be coming with me to the ball Alexia?" That was probably what was on his mind the whole time. I roll my eyes, "What do you think? Nicholas' attitude has changed my mind. I don't think I really want to spend time with him anymore." Thomas smiles and places a small peck on my lips.

"Good." He notices the blush on my cheeks and a smirk replaces his genuine smile. He stands up and brushes his hands on his pants. "I'll see you later Alexia." He walks away as if everything that just occurred meant nothing, and I can't help but smile at his ways.

Nina is already prepared, looking stunning in the red lace dress that she is wearing. She hands me a long sparkling black dress. White peacock feathers adorn the chest area densely, then slowly decreasing in numbers as it nears the hem. A shiny black mask is in her hand, it has a matching peacock feather in the side.

I run my fingers through the soft feathers as my eyes roam the dress in awe. "It's beautiful Nina." She smiles and pushes me to the wardrobe. "Well get changed." I laugh and change into the dress once I'm in the wardrobe. The chest clings to my skin a bit tighter than I would have like but it looks amazing nonetheless. I open the door and let Nina tie the mask around my head.

She claps her hands once she's done. "You look stunning Alexia. I can't wait to see Thomas' expression once he lays eyes on you." Her comment makes me blush and I turn away.

"So who are you going with?" I ask her. This time she is the one blushing. "It's a surprise." She whispers, obviously meaning that she's embarrassed. I laugh at her face and walk to the door. "Come on, your partner will be left waiting." She nods and together we walk to the ball.

The ballroom doors are finally open and I gasp once we enter. It hasn't been used in years so seeing it come back to life is spectacular. The candles look better, the lights are brighter, the colours are vibrant and the atmosphere is lively. I feel an alien feeling of warmth on my wait and turn around. Thomas' bright blue eyes stare back at me.

"You look beautiful." He kisses my knuckles and his eyes wander shamelessly over my form. "Thank you Thomas, you look," I pretend to think for a word to describe his usual good looking image, "tidy." He smirks, "I look amazing as always. No need to lie about it." I roll my eyes and look over at Nina and her partner. My eyes widen in shock, she's with George.

I watch them dance together, looking like the perfect couple. A smile settles in my lips, at least he is moving on. I'm guessing he figured out my feelings. "What are you looking at?" I turn back to a rejected looking Thomas. "Nina and George over there." He doesn't seem to care that much. "Well at least he has figured out that you are not returning his feelings." I nod in agreement.

"Let's dance now." He pulls me away to the centre of the room. He settles a hand on my waist and another on my shoulder; I place my arms around his neck and we dance to the slow song being played.

After numerous dances, the feeling of comfort and peace is shattered. Piercing screams are let out and people start scrambling away from the entrance of the ball room. Anthony and Felicia somehow make it to us, he passes Thomas and I both a sword.

"What's going on?" I ask as we quickly make our way to the chaos. He shakes his head. "I don't know." Thomas and Anthony are in front of Felicia and I. Mid way to the entrance I pull Felicia away and run to the side of the room and hand her my sword. I fish for my three daggers behind the loose piece of wood and hand two to her. I grab my sword back and we both run to catch up with Thomas and my twin.

"Where did you go?" Thomas asks. I gesture to the dagger in my hand and he nods. People shove us to get away.

I spot the cause of the commotion and stop dead in my tracks, my breath hitching in my throat.