Chapter 12 Walk The Line Son

Blake was still furious with Ian over what had transpired that afternoon, plus he was stirred over the kiss. He left the restaurant long enough to cool down and then he went back. He told Mrs. Madison to come back to the office with him. Ian was sitting in the office with his feet on the desk again and Pandora on the computer. He looked up at Blake and didn't say anything.

"We're about to make some big changes around here. What I saw happen today will never happen in this place ever again."

"You can thank Rena for that."

Blake bit his lip and clenched his fist. He didn't want to pound Ian, but could feel it coming. His temples began to throb. He didn't comment on what Ian said.

"Mrs. Madison, you are now Ian's manager. I am moving Avery up to day shift manager, and we'll find someone capable that is currently on staff to manage the night shift."

Ian and Mrs. Madison both looked startled. Ian stood up.

"You can't do that. I'm the owner here along with my mother."

"You're an irresponsible, callous and indifferent idiot. As long as my money is supporting this restaurant and your current lifestyle, you will do what I say from this day forward."

Ian sat back down in the chair with a scowl on his face. Mrs. Madison blushed.

Blake continued. "As of today, you are only allowed in this office from 3:00 PM until 6:00 PM. During that time you will handle the accounting, the payroll, ordering supplies and now food ordering. During the other hours, you need to be up front or helping in the kitchen. Mrs. Madison, I don't want you doing anything related to ordering any more. Ian, from 6:00 AM until 2:00 PM you will work the front end and the kitchen and be responsible to make sure that every restroom is adequately cleaned, and you will handle all customer service issues and not refer them to anyone. Your lunch break is from 2:00 PM until 3:00 PM."

Shocked, Ian said, "I'm not coming in here at 6:00 AM!"

"Clarissa has given me authority to do what is in the best interest of this place. If that's the way you feel, you can leave today."

Ian snapped his mouth shut and glared at Blake. Mrs. Madison smiled. Blake looked at her.

"The only thing you need to do is watch Ian and help Clarissa and Rena when they ask you. You will have access to me every day during his shift. If he deviates from one thing that I've said today, write him up. Ian, if you have as many as three write ups you will be terminated. You are to arrive at work and clock in 15 minutes early. If you are late more than three times you will be terminated."

"Wait a minute. I'm salaried. You can't do this!"

"I've already done it. Your hourly rate is $12 an hour. You can earn your way back to a management position and a full paid salary any time that you'd like. Your new responsibilities start now. For the rest of this day, all I want you to do is clean the restrooms and bust tables. That's where I started, and I own nine restaurants and a coffee shop right now."

Ian rolled his eyes. He folded his arms across his chest in rebellion. Some days, Ian wanted to box Blake up and ship him back to Florida.

"And one more thing, Mrs. Madison. If you see him using anything electronic or doing any personal things by phone or by computer, with the exception of when he should be managing the books, send him home. We will dock him an entire day's pay. If it happens twice, he will be suspended a week. After that, termination."