XXIII. The Laughter & The War

"You...who are you?"

"I'm Appel. I was killed so that I could tell everyone about what happened after an Apple's death. I came back to tell you."

"Oh, you're that one!" He laughed.

It was a very small Apple. The smallest one I had ever seen. He laughed his life over me, over what I just said, and I didn't like that.

"What for hell's sake is wrong with me?"

"Just come inside, they'll tell you." He pulled me inside, still laughing.

Inside, there was a crowd waiting for me. Actually, they were probably not waiting for me; they were doing what they would usually be doing. I saw a few small Apples sit in a circle with Mr. Apletre in the middle; that must be the Small Apple organization, I thought. I saw female Apples caring for the smallest Apples, I saw males talking to each other, I saw our blacksmith working away, I saw everyone. And I knew them, and I was tempted to run up to them, especially to Mr. Apletre, and tell them that I was back, back from that dangerous mission they sent me to accomplish. But I held myself back; I hadn't been announced yet.

The small Apple screamed. "HEY EVERYONE. LISTEN TO ME."

Everyone's heads turned, and the Apple continued screaming. "APPEL, SENT ON A, heheh, VERY DANGEROUS, hehe, MISSION IS BACK!"

I smiled in preparation of everyone looking at me. They did, but they did not have the reaction I expected.

They laughed. They laughed. THEY LAUGHED.

"Hi..." I gave a small wave.

"Uh...h-hh-hi," a female said, her shoulders shaken by laughter.

Mr. Apletre walked up to me. He was the only one who was still serious. Even the smallest Apples were laughing.

"Oh, Appel Appel Appel." He shook his head and smiled. "How could you be so stupid?"

"What? Mr. Apletre, I'm back! I know now what happens after death! I can tell you!" I was eager to tell them everything I discovered.

"Oh Appel, you don't understand, do you?"

I stuck my hands inside my pocket. I felt the quest items still there, at least the sword was, and I could also feel the bucket.

"What don't I understand?" I asked.

Mr. Apletre came closer, and put his face not even a Stem away from mine.

"Appel, really? You do not?"

He came even closer.

"We never fucking cared about what happens after an Apple's death."

"No...you're kidding right?"

"No," he said and smirked. His face stretched out, forming an expression of cruelty. "We never wanted to know."

I felt Leppa's presence behind me. It was the only thing that stopped me from breaking down, crying, hurting myself, maybe dying, who knew. He was a crutch for me at this point, holding me up, giving me strength.

I wanted to say something, I even opened my mouth, but couldn't get a sound out. I was in deep shock. Deep, deep shock. It was like a pool of honey that I walked into, and that now wouldn't let me go, that made my feet stick to it.

A voice came from behind me.

"We declare war." It was Leppa.

I opened my mouth again to protest, but I couldn't get a sound out again, except this time I really willed myself to, it wasn't shock that held me back. I was sure it was something else.

"War?" Laughter. More laughter. Mocking laughter. Mr. Apletre made fun of me, his student, his admirer, his fanatic. He dragged all the other Apples into his laughter, and again, I wanted to cry. I wanted to be taken seriously, for once. Just once.

"Yes, war." Leppa had come to stand beside me, and our hands came closer one to another. I could not tell who it was of us two approaching his hand to the other. It was probably both of us.

Mr. Apletre became serious again. "Do you actually mean that? Do you, probably an Apple from another structure, know what kind of weapons we have?"

"I do not, but I know that ours are better."

"Just a second, Leppa," I said. I had apparently gotten my voice back. "I just want to know what your motives are. Why did you kill me if you don't care about knowing what happens after an Apple's death?"

"Because we wanted to get rid of you, Appel. Because you were the most pathetic Apple of the structure, and it was worth the effort of coming up with such a scheme."

I noticed that he hadn't had an outburst yet, and wondered why. I thought he probably had worked on his self-control while I was...

While I was dead. I had been dead, and I had to assume it. I had learned throughout my years of life, and now also death, that it was important to assume one's feelings.

"So, war. Okay. All fine. Now can you Apples please get out of my structure?" It was Mr. Apletre's partner talking, a young female that I didn't know the name of. She had a stance that wanted itself sultry and beautiful, but she wasn't in my eyes at least. Only one Apple was handsome in my eyes.

"Alright, but tell me when the first battle's going to be." Leppa truly had the mind of a fighter, I thought, and admired his newly acquired handsomeness.

"How about tomorrow, 3:00 AppleHours? In front of the structure?"

"Wouldn't mind."

He walked out the door, and I followed him. When we were out of the structure, I spoke immediately.

"Leppa! What did you think?! We don't have weapons to fight with, plus we're TWO Apples and they're at least FIFTY!"

"Yeah, you're right, but we have courage, Appel, and most of all, we have this." He took my hand and placed it on my chest. His skin was surprisingly cold and felt inconsistent. I thought that if I pushed a bit against it, I would pierce a hole in his hand.

"What, my chest?"

"No. We have heart." He smiled.

***************
A/N
***************
Awww, so cute! or not...
A war is coming up, and you all know what a war means.
DEATH.
but no, I wouldn't do that...or would I? ;)

anyways, the music is Stay in the Dark by Lambert. <3

Thank you all for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter, I'd appreciate a vote or a comment :3
enjoy your life & don't die,
Fourminette