One True Love

She had been running around like a mad woman all day. Finally, while sitting in traffic Tobin's emotions caught up with her.

She listened as her daughter was trying to read in the backseat.

"Mama, what does this word say?"

"Sound it out kiddo."

"But its hard." As a pout formed on her daughter's lips, Tobin adjusted her rearview mirror to look back at her.

"But you can do it."

As she listens to her daughter sounding out the words she lets the music from the stereo finally sink in.

And you said to me
Can't we work it out
Won't you talk to me
What's this all about

She lets her thoughts wonder to Alex. The question of how she likes her coffee still bothers her. She could ask her. Pick up the phone and just call her.

"Hey Lex, its me. How do you like your coffee?"

But they haven't talked in ten years. They've always been separated by only one degree. Kelley.

Kelley keeps Tobin updated on Alex and vice versa. Alex knew Tobin got married, had a kid, got a divorce. Just as Tobin knew Alex was avoiding her.

Tobin had this habit of coming in like a tornado. Always taking her high school love by surprise.

So Tobin waits. She waits for Alex to call. Waits for Kelley to get them all together. Waits for Alex to leave the flavor of the month.

"Mama?"

"Do you know that you can be rich without money?"

"Yea? Tell me."

"You can be rich with pets, friends, family...will you and mommy love each other again?" The little girls questions always get snuck in there and always take Tobin by surprise.

"Baby, I will always love your mommy."

"What about me?"

"I will love you longer than always."

*********
Gamble by Lucy Rose