Chapter 25: Suspicion

(Pierce's P.O.V.)

"Blair?" I called after knocking softly on her door.

"Mm?" The sound of her voice made the blood heat in my veins. My wolf shifted restlessly in my head. I clenched my jaw and turned the handle, letting myself into her room.

"How are you feeling? You worried me." I said carefully,  trying to add the maximum amount of concern to my voice without overstepping too many boundaries.  She rolled over in her bed to face me.

"I'm doing alright Pierce really.  I just didn't feel well all of a sudden." I nodded and advanced further into her room, drawing near her bed, closer to her body.  The smell of her was intoxicating.  I was helpless to do anything but go to her, like some gravitational pull that was beyond us both.  "I'm really fine," she repeated. Suddenly drawing me from my hormone stupor.

"Uh-um I'm glad.  You've been working really hard Blair." I smoothly made an effort to compliment her.  "With all that's been going on, I've needed someone strong beside me that I can trust." She made a micro-expression at this, but I assumed it was merely a reaction to being flattered.  I rode the accepting atmosphere and innocently sat on the edge of her bed. "I need you Blair." I insisted earnestly before reaching forward and placing my hand on hers. She smiled weakly.

"Of course.  I'm here for you Pierce." She brightened slightly and I felt my heart rate increase.  She could be mine.  All this gorgeous, raw perfection was right before me,  her mate denounced, Alpha title in my grasp... I could have Blair.  "Aaand that's all," she said awkwardly, killing the mood.  I let my train of thought ride away as I was again painfully reminded of our usually strained encounters. 

"Sorry," I laughed, "I've just got a lot on my mind." She smiled to show it was ok, but it was a closed mouth kind of smile,  like she was trying to keep us distanced.  My wolf whined in my head,  and I struggled to come up with something to say. I wanted her to understand me without coming on too strong. I needed her to. Right now was my chance. I sighed and sat down heavily on the edge of her bed, trying not to read into the way she visibly bristled.  "I'm sorry."

"For what?" She asked.  I leaned forward and put my head in my hands. 

"For everything basically," I said, turning my head to smile apologetically at her.  She had a dazed look, and I knew I was saying something good. "I haven't always agreed with you or really been your friend for the most part.  I know a lot of what I say offends you, but I care about you.  Really." It was my turn to reach out and put my hand over hers. She didn't pull away, in fact, she didn't even flinch or cringe. "Right now I need you more than ever,  so I just wanted you to know that." She processed what I'd said for a moment,  green eyes searching my face for intent. 

"You mean it?" She asked suspiciously.

"Of course," I replied sincerely, "I've always cared about you." I felt adrenaline under my skin as a streak of bravery overtook me. She hesitated for a moment,  but then she allowed herself to relax and her face softened. 

"Thank you. For being there for me...that night." She whispered.  I felt a swell of triumph in my chest and I bit the inside of my cheek not to give it away.  "I couldn't believe he'd..." She didn't finish,  but her lip curled in disgust and I was glad to see her dislike him. 

"It was unforgivable." I agreed firmly, trying to show her I understood.  "Jake was-" I stopped as my voice suddenly caught in my throat. She crawled across the covers and wrapped her arms around me.  I sat with her in silence for a while,  feeling her breathe against me. As I placed my hand possessively over hers as they encircled me, I relaxed into the idea that this was all worth it. Jake had to move aside for things to be better. To be right.