thirteen

The sound of footsteps, the sound of even breathing. A whisper, a touch, a smile.

   I look up and he is there. His fingers touch my neck and I close my eyes. He pushes my hair back, behind my shoulders, and I let him run his fingers through my curls. It is lovely to be loved.

   Birds, dark sky, rain. I am damp, my hair sticking to me like honey. His hands slip on my arm and he laughs, his fingers slipping between mine. I squeeze his hand and stare, right up, right at the dark sky. There are no stars. Not tonight.

   "You're beautiful," he said.

   I laughed nervously. "It's because it's dark. You can barely see me."

   His knee touched mine. "I don't have to see you. I know you are."

   So I kissed him. Quick, quiet, perfect.

   "Do you love me?" I asked. Whispered against his lips.

   "Of course," he murmured.

   "Of course?"

   "Of course, Sarah," he said. "It's impossible to meet you and not fall in love."

I kissed him again. His hand played with the hem of my shirt but I pushed him away. I smiled against him.

"'How beautiful at eventide'," he said and grinned. "'To see the twilight shadows so pale'."

I rested my head on his chest. "What poem is that?"

He kissed my hair. "Lucy's Song, Charles Dickens."

"I like it," I told him. "It's nice."

"Poetic brilliance," he said. His eyes were glued to the sky. "I'd like to be a poet, but I'm hopeless with words."

"You're better than me," I said.

"It's not hard, Sarah," he said in a teasing tone.

I pushed him before pulling him back to me. He kept that smile on his face and the giddy look in his eye. I stared at him for most of that night, because I had never known that someone could be that beautiful.