Chapter 10

Picture of Leah's mom (Kate) on the right!

Chapter Ten

                Sooner than I expected, it seemed like it was suddenly the middle of October. That meant that Delaney and my birthdays were approaching. Delaney’s birthday was on October 14th, while mine was almost a week later, on the 20th. Perhaps that’s why we’re such good friends, since our birthdays are so close to each other.

                Anyway, Delaney’s mom was having a small party for both of our birthdays today, even though Delaney’s birthday was tomorrow. Since our birthdays are close together, we’ve always had one party before her birthday for both our family members and then just a small get-together for our friends closer to my birthday.

                Of course I was going to the party, except I really didn’t want to see Will. But I wasn’t going to let him ruin my fun at our party. Besides, I’ve been able to successfully avoid him for almost three weeks. In those three weeks, Paul has attempted to mend things between Will and me only to a point of friendship, but I haven’t even made an effort to do that yet. Although I told Will never to talk to me again, I don’t think Paul should be doing his dirty work instead.

                “Hello? Leah?” someone said, bringing me out of my thoughts.

                I looked up to see Damien. “What?”

                “Joe said we could leave now,” he said, starting to untie the apron around his waist. I nodded and untied my own apron.

                Yes, I was wearing an apron too because I was now a waitress. Just as Damien said he would, he talked to Joe, the owner of my favorite diner, and was able to get me the job. I barely had to interview for the position too. Apparently he’s seen me eating here so often that he knows I’ll be a great employee for the diner. And for about two weeks, I’ve proven Joe’s judgment right so far.

                Damien and I left after clocking out. As soon as we made it home, it didn’t take long for me to get ready for the party. Luckily it was warm and sunny outside where we lived, so I was able to wear a light dress. It was a casual white and blue striped dress that came just above my knees. I knew the party was going to be in Delaney’s huge backyard too, so I put on a pair of white canvas shoes instead of heels.

                I made my way downstairs, excited to go to this party. Well, I was mainly just excited to give Delaney her gift. She said she was too excited to wait until tomorrow, so I finally gave in and told her she could open it today.

                “Is everyone ready to go?” My mom asked us. Everyone in the house was going since the party was technically for Delaney and me, even though she had a lot more family coming than I did. The only other extended family I had was my mom’s younger sister and her family. My Aunt Judy had three children with Uncle Steve: six year old Mary, four year old Kyle, and two year old Kendra.

                “I believe so,” Sarah answered.

                “Great, let’s head out then,” my mother replied. We all started leaving the house when my mom stopped me.

                “Oh, I meant to tell you the construction on our house is done,” she said.

                “Cool, when do we move back in?”

                “Well, I thought we’d move in after Sarah’s wedding,” she replied. Daniel, Sarah, and Isabelle were getting in Daniel’s car, while Ben and Damien were walking toward his truck.