Epilogue

Epilogue

Three Years Later            

                “Sarah, you should be resting, not lifting heavy things,” Damien said, immediately taking the heavy stack of books out of her hands.

                “Just because I look like I’m about to burst doesn’t mean I’m actually going to,” she replied, blowing a piece of hair out of her face.

                It was true, Sarah did look like she was about to burst. But that was only because she was due any day now to give birth. Honestly, as much as she said she was surprised about the pregnancy, I wasn’t. I knew Sarah has always wanted a child of her own. She complained about being too old and too inexperienced with kids, but I know she’ll make a great mother. We all knew it.

                “Honey, Damien’s right. The doctor said you should be relaxing right now,” Daniel said as he entered the room. “What are you doing, anyway?”

                “I was just trying to put them on the shelf!” she bellowed.

                “I know,” Daniel replied calmly, rubbing her back soothingly.

                She sighed. “I’m going to help Kate in the kitchen.” Before Daniel could protest, she added, “I know, no heavy lifting.”

                I couldn’t hold back my laughing once she left the room. I was sitting on the couch next to Damien, who just joined me after putting the books on the shelf like Sarah wanted.

                “I bet she was a rebel when she was a kid,” Damien stated, putting his arm across my shoulders.

                I grinned up at him. “Aren’t you used to this by now?”

                He shook his head. “No way, I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the mood swings of a pregnant woman.”

                I laughed just as my mom announced it was time for dinner. Even though our families were busy with school or work, we always had Sunday dinners together. Lately they were at Sarah’s house for her convenience, though I didn’t mind. It allowed me to spend more time with my boyfriend.

                Yes, Damien and I were still together, even after three years. In fact, while we both still lived in our own houses, he decided to go to a nearby technical school while I went to a college not too far from home. I once asked him what made him change his mind about getting the certificate to be a mechanic, to which he replied ‘you’. Apparently, I inspired and encouraged him to do something more with his life. And that’s just what he was doing. A few months ago, he got a job as a mechanic at a well-known shop while he finished up his last few classes for his certificate. Someday he wants to open his own shop, specifically for working on vintage cars. I was beyond proud of him.

                “How’s your classes, Leah?” Todd, my mother’s fiancé now, asked me as we sat down to eat.

                “They’re great. I only have a few more finals left before my summer vacation starts. Then I’ll start a couple summer classes in two weeks,” I answered. I still had another year before I received my bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education to be a teacher.

                “How about your classes?” Todd asked Ben and Isabelle.

                They answered, starting a conversation about a teacher Isabelle had in high school that everyone hated, including Ben and me. Isabelle was doing well for her first year of high school, getting good grades and joining a couple different sports teams.