Chapter 11

Quick AN: I decided to post to chapters today since the last one was kind of short. So enjoy!

Also, the picture on the right is Sarah!

Chapter Eleven

                Within the week leading up to my birthday, I was shocked at how nice and civil Damien was with me. I attributed his changed behavior to the fact that my birthday was coming up, but it was nice nonetheless. We actually had a decent time working together each day I worked at the diner after school. Honestly, I kind of wanted this Damien to stay like this, even after my birthday.

                But I wasn’t really thinking about that today because today was my eighteenth birthday. Finally. Nothing could possibly bring me down on this day. Especially since my close friends were over to celebrate with me.

                “Open my gift now!” Delaney urged. Of course she waited last to give me her gift. I grinned and took the flat wrapped box from her hands. As soon as a tore away the wrapping and opened the box, I was speechless. Only for a second though, because then I let out a joyful scream.

                “Seriously? Tickets to Three Days Grace! Thank you so much, Delaney!” I jumped up and hugged her tightly.

                “I knew you’d like my gift! Seems like we had the same idea, giving each other tickets to concerts,” she replied. Yes, I had given her tickets to one of her favorite bands. However, I didn’t really like the band I got her tickets for, and I know for a fact she doesn’t listen to Three Days Grace. But I knew she was taking Ben to see her concert, so maybe I could find someone else to go with me to mine.

                “Wow, this has been a great birthday. Thanks so much for the gifts,” I told everyone. I was so grateful for the things they got me, even the simple card Damien gave me. It really is the thought that counts with him, though.

                “I’m glad you enjoyed your birthday, Leah. But you didn’t open my gift yet,” my mom said, smiling mischievously.

                “Oh, I didn’t see it anywhere. Where is it?”

                “It’s outside,” she said, nodding toward the front door.

                Too excited to think, I skipped to the door and outside, with everyone else following me. While my eyes should have landed on the blue Jeep sitting in the driveway with a huge red bow on it, they instead focused on Will, who was just started to walk up the path from his car.

                I stood still for a moment, until my mom interrupted my blank thoughts. “Do you like it?”

                I shook my head slightly and turned back to face her. I forced a smile and glanced at everyone. “Of course, I love it. Thanks mom,” I said, giving her a hug.

                “Good, I’m glad. I’ll tell you more about it later. Right now we’ll give you some privacy,” she replied, glancing over at Will, who kept a safe distance from me.

                I nodded and watched everyone else go back inside. I didn’t miss the worried glances from Delaney and Paul, or the glare coming from Damien. After they were all inside and the door was shut, I slowly turned to face Will.

                “What are you doing here?” I asked him. I wasn’t angry or rude about it. I was sad and surprised to see him, if anything.