five

F I V E

                                                                                        "The Quiet"

                                                       i ' d     r a t h e r    b e    b l a c k    a n d    b l u e

                                                   t h a n    a c c e p t     t h a t     y o u    w i t h d r e w

                                                                                .                .             .

Radio silence fills the gaps in conversation at meals, they don't dare to make eye contact in the halls, and if even the slightest touch is made it drives them completely insane. This, the white noise that has become their relationship, is driving them insane.

But they don't dare admit that.

The adoption is tomorrow, and if anything else gets in the way of that . . . It's game over. No restarting, no second chances, no remorse.

Callie can't risk that, Brandon knows, he's always known.

Yet she's still the hardest thing to let go; the chocolate locks, warm chestnut eyes, button nose, soft lips -- God, everything about her is hard to move on from.

It doesn't help that he's seen all of her, nothing covering her but dim streaks of sunlight from his window and, for a short period, himself.

"Callie, help me with these dishes." Lena calls from the kitchen. Callie looks away from the TV and nods, pushing herself off of the couch and entering the kitchen, joining Lena at the sink and picking up a plate, lowering it under the rushing water.

She scrubs off all of the grime, passing it over to Lena and repeating the same action for the next five dishes before a glow in the backyard catches her attention.

"You put the lights back up." Callie smiles.

"Oh, yeah, you didn't notice?"

"I was busy today." She shrugs. By busy she means sulking in her room until she was called down for dinner and forced herself out of bed.

"Ah," Lena looks out the window with Callie, "Those lights have been through some shit."

Callie's eyes widen at Lena's language.

Lena laughs, "But really, they have. They're special too me. As odd as it sounds, they're a big part of my life."