14. White Violin

I didn't think much about heading to the music room tonight. I was still in fear of the paralysis that might catch me at night, and my curiosity of this castle had only multiplied in folds through my recent finds.

I entered the music room and it looked just the way it was in the day. The girl with the umbrella said night, but I had no idea how long I should wait. She probably was one of my hallucinations anyway.

I stared at the white violin again. There didn't seem anything special about its appearance. I wouldn't be surprised if it was mass-produced from a sweat factory. But there was something tempting about it, an aura that lures the viewer in this darkness. In the day, it was as plain as an old rag. In the night, however, it was a gem emitting an irresistible gleam.

Having waited impatiently for some time, I made up my mind to check the violin by myself. Gently I removed the glass case. It wasn't locked or fixed. The violin was resting on a soft pad with an arch behind it support its body. For some reason the violin gleamed even brighter after the glass case was removed. Perhaps the shimmer the violin always had was contained within the glass case.

I stretched my right hand and slowly reached the white body.

I touched its surface. It was light as feather-no, it felt nothing, not even a spec of dust was in my touch.

I stretched my hand further. My hand pierced through the violin. This was beyond my apprehension. My hand went through the violin as if it was thin air. I kept my eyes focused on the violin. Unless this was merely an optical illusion, my senses could not be wrong. There is no truth value in senses. This value is only evaluated when judgement occurs.

I withdrew my hand in panic. I had relied on my senses for so long I didn't know to react in this situation.

"Oh, you found out by yourself," suddenly a voice came from behind.

I turned around in swiftly and caught sight of the girl again. This time she did not have her umbrella.

"That white violin gives us our life energy."

She walked to the violin briskly and playfully.

"Look at this slender curve of the violin. It is an instrument that opens the door to the other world."

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"So do I! It just works. That's what makes it amazing, doesn't it?"

"We only need the other lady here to make it come true."

"Other lady? You mean our teacher Lucy?"

"Oh not that stubborn woman. I mean that lady who came with you, Marie."

She suddenly clasped my hands into hers.

"Oh poor. Look at those fingers of yours. They need some rest from this horrible duty. You should take some rest, don't you think?"

"It's you who told me to come so late at night."

"I'm sorry. Well, you know why I looked for you now."

She loosened her grip, turned around, and stepped on the window frame.

"Please don't think too much about it, okay?"

"Um..."

Before I could ask anything, she had jumped out of the window. I hurriedly looked out the window frame, but she had already vanished in the darkness.