Old Promise

It was the last summer I spent helping out in my parent's shop. It was a small store, but because of its long history, where the royals once bought instruments here, it has become a tourist spot for people to come and look at the instruments we make. Unfortunately, the royals don't order instruments from here anymore, but our store still uses this as our only way to attract customers. We've even started doing performances to entertain the tourists. I mainly play the piano, but we also call our friends and neighbours and pay them a small amount for these performances. I loathed the job and hardly helped out before, but since I had to earn money for college, I had to get as much as I can now. My parents said they wouldn't fund me. I needed this money to move out of this boring village as quick as possible.

"Wow, that kid's good."

"This music is so nice."

Bathing in the praises of the crowd, I continued playing the piano. I did a light finish to the Beethoven piece, slowly stood up and gave a bow.

A shower of claps followed. I bowed again and walked through the back door.

"Hey, that was really nice?"

"You heard it? Why didn't you come in?"

"I'm a little embarrassed."

This young girl was a frequent visitor to our shop. She didn't live near us, but our family had started to grow on her because of her passion for our instruments. She had also helped out to play the violin, and didn't ask for any monetary return.

"But you've played for us so many times. You shouldn't be embarrassed by now."

"I'm not that kind of embarrassed..." she said, shrugging.

"Come in. It's time now." I reminded.

"I know."

She stepped in, took off her hood and laid it on the couch. She joined me to the stage (the back of the store) and we bowed together.

"Which piece was it?" she whispered in my ears.

"What?!?" I tried to hide my shock and anxiety.

"I'm just joking. Hehe." She covered her laughter with her hands and picked up the violin.

I started the prelude and she joined into the chorus pretty soon. She did not play particularly good or whatever, just average, enough to fool most of our audience. 

I had to go a bit slower or faster to match her tempo. She didn't play exactly according to the score, but that's okay, all we musicians do that. Members of an orchestra don't necessarily hear each other; they simply look at the movements of the bows.

We finished another piece and it was over. I stood up, held her hand and we bowed.

The performances for today were over. The crowed gradually disappeared and only a few people walked around to see what they could buy for a souvenir.

"Hey, you really made all these violins?"

She asked, pointing to the rack of wood violins hanging at the side.

"Yeah, kind of."

"Do you think you could make me one?"

She still didn't have a violin of her own. At least I've never seen her owning one. Ever since she helped our performances, she had been borrowing our violin.

"Why don't you take the one you used to borrow from us?"

"That's...but I would like one specially for me."

"I don't know. It takes some time. My hands are already full with the orders this time of the year."

"Just make an extra one. One extra violin, please?"